AK's "Kolsch"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Deathweed

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP029
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 64deg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
crash cool
Tasting Notes
Light and crisp with enough flavor and body to remind you that its a home brew
I have spent about a year tweaking this recipe, and with the last 3 batches turning out great I decided to finally share :D This recipe was developed for my wife and BMC drinking friends, and ended up becoming a staple on tap that I enjoy fairly often as well. I was trying to develop something BMC'ish, but still with a little body and flavor. This is a great beer right after mowing the lawn, or just sitting on the porch shooting the breeze on a spring or summer evening when you want something light that you can keep drinking all night long.

kolsch.JPG

Grains:
6.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3.00 lb long grain white rice (1.0 SRM)
0.25 lbCaramel/Crystal Malt - 10/20L (20.0 SRM)
0.25 lbWheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM)

Hops:
0.50 oz Sterling [7.00 %] (90 min) 11.7 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.40 %] (90 min) 9.0 IBU

Other:
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)

Mash:
Gum rest - Add 12.50 qt of water at room temp 105.0deg 20 min
Protein rest - Heat to 122.0 F over 10 min hold for 30 min
Sacchrafinication -Heat to 150.0 F over 15 min hold for 90 min
Mash Out - Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min

Sparge:
Batch sparge 2 rounds with ~2.35 gallons each at 170deg

Procedure:

I use long grain white rice in this recipe, but I am sure someone who wanted to use instant rice could do that as well. I put the 3lbs in a large pot on the stove, cover with water and bring to a boil. I let the rice simmer for 30 minutes until it is over cooked a slightly mushy.

Meanwhile, I mill the rest of my grains and put my strike water into my mash tun, but don't start heating it up! When the rice is done I have found adding it to the strike water brings the volume to ~110-115deg, which comes about to 105-110deg after you dough in with the grains. When I add the rice to the strike water, I use my hands to break up large clumps until I do not feel any more, then dough in. I direct fire and recirculate the mash with a march pump, and slowly bring it through the mash schedule watching to make sure I don't scorch the bottom or get a stuck mash. When I hit about 148-150 deg, I hold for 90 minutes.

Sparging and boil are pretty standard. I have sparged this with and without rice hulls, and while they help, are not necessary if you have a good false bottom. I use a 90 minute boil because I have found it makes the beer a bit "crisper" and to ensure there is no DMS left, because it will show through in the final product if it is there.

Fermentation:
I use a temperature controlled fermentation cabinet to maintain the temperature between 60 and 65 deg, and give this a couple weeks at that temperature. When fermentation is complete and the yeast have begun to slightly settle, I keg, crash cool to ~40deg, and force carb over a couple more weeks. This clears the beer up a bit more as the yeast drop out. You can drink it soon, but I have found a couple weeks at lower temps really do a lot to clean up the flavor a bit. I have no idea what longer storage would do because I have yet to have a keg last that long :D

I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as we do, and I will try to answer any questions that pop up.

This one interests me I may try it.

How do you think it would turn out with pilsner malt and no step mash?

Would I be better off step mashing in my keggle and then try to move back to my Lauder turn/cooler to sparge?

Back