side-of-the-road wheat - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > side-of-the-road wheat
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 07-11-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
troybinso
Recipes 

Jun 2006

I live in Walla Walla, WA, where the wheat grows aplenty. I thought I might "acquire" some wheat from some local farms to throw in my first hefe batch. Give it some local flavor. What do I need to do to it to prepare it for a mash? It is pretty close to harvest time around here, so I am thinking I just cut a couple of pounds, mill it up a little bit and mash. Also, could I do the same thing with rye?

Old 07-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Corrales, New Mexico
Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Field grains are not malted and so are not ready for mashing. Malting is a germinating process. Some grains can be cooked (corn for example) and utilized, but rye and wheat need to be processed.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Boston

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Cary, NC
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
Field grains are not malted and so are not ready for mashing. Malting is a germinating process. Some grains can be cooked (corn for example) and utilized, but rye and wheat need to be processed.
I like Troy's idea of using local grain for his brew. Just out of curiosity, what would it take to malt a couple of pounds of wheat? A large basin filled with water and an oven? Has anyone attempted this?
Jeff

Old 07-11-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSTONBREWIN'
I like Troy's idea of using local grain for his brew. Just out of curiosity, what would it take to malt a couple of pounds of wheat? A large basin filled with water and an oven? Has anyone attempted this?
Jeff
Step 1: Consult Google.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:53 PM   #5
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Sierra Vista, AZ
Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood

I like this part

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYO
If you want to take your homebrew one step closer to 100 percent homemade, become a maltster.