Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Steep/mash, which did i do?

Old 03-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
orcus332
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Steep/mash, which did i do?

I brewed my first batch of beer over this past weekend. Right now I'm organizing my notes. I just realized I really don't know the definition of steep vs mash or which I did. I thought I was mashing, but correct me if I'm wrong. I brewed BM's blue balls belgian wheat. I loosely followed a partial mash variation of the recipe. I used a muslin bag, and put 2 lbs of flaked wheat and 1 lbs of flaked oats inside. I then placed that inside 3 gallons of water with the temperature of 156F for 70 minutes. After this, I "sparged" the bag with about 1 gallon of 180F water for 10-15 minutes, and combined the two waters and continued.

1. Was this a steep or a mash?

2. Could I/Should I have heated the oats/wheat w/o a bag and used a strainer to ensure water contacted all surfaces of the grain?

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

1)

2) i suppose you could have, but this method is OK also. as long as you moved it around a good bit and had a bag big enough for some movement/expansion of the grain, i'm sure it was fine.

i think steeping really is mashing, just to a lesser extent.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 03-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
i think steeping really is mashing, just to a lesser extent.
Mashing is a process of extracting sugars and requires a base malt to convert the starches.

Steeping is a process of adding color and flavor, no sugars are extracted.

Think of it this way, if the grains are adding to your gravity, you are mashing, if not, you are steeping.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 03-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
jmiracle

Recipes 

I think in this case it was a steep if you just used 2lbs flaked wheat and 1 lb flaked oats, without a base malt you won't get the starches converted to sugars (missing the "diastatic enzyme" I think, don't quote me on that). All that long steep would have done is wrung every bit or starch out of the grains but probably didn't get much sugar.

If you do it again I would think you might want to add some 6-row malted barley, I don't know the science but 6-row is commonly used when mashing with high amounts of unmalted grains that need to be converted.
Bottled & carbing: Nothin
drinking: Poet on Payday Wee Heavy
gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Old 03-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
android
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i stand corrected! sorry to mislead you.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 03-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcus332 View Post
I brewed my first batch of beer over this past weekend. Right now I'm organizing my notes. I just realized I really don't know the definition of steep vs mash or which I did. I thought I was mashing, but correct me if I'm wrong. I brewed BM's blue balls belgian wheat. I loosely followed a partial mash variation of the recipe. I used a muslin bag, and put 2 lbs of flaked wheat and 1 lbs of flaked oats inside. I then placed that inside 3 gallons of water with the temperature of 156F for 70 minutes. After this, I "sparged" the bag with about 1 gallon of 180F water for 10-15 minutes, and combined the two waters and continued.

1. Was this a steep or a mash?

2. Could I/Should I have heated the oats/wheat w/o a bag and used a strainer to ensure water contacted all surfaces of the grain?

Thanks!
1) It was a steep. Mashing requires enzymatic base malt which creates the process of starch to sugar conversion. Unfortunately just steeping starchy, flaked grains accomplishes little for the beer. You will soak out some starches, gums and proteins but that is about it.

2) Consider doing a mini mash. It's only a little more complicated than steeping and much more rewarding for you and the beer.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
orcus332
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for everyone who replied, that cleared things up for me.
One more question... Any idea how I would figure out how much grain/malt would be needed to convert the starches in those 3# of wheat/oats in case I brew this one again?
Thanks again!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If you're thinking about developing your own recipes I would highly highly recommend downloading one of the available pieces of brewing software. I use ProMash myself but I know a lot of folks use BeerTools.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
jmiracle

Recipes 

I can't find anything on ProMash that answers his question.

I'd like to know this too, basically what is the minimum base malt you could use to convert 3 lbs of adjuncts?

Since I do 4lb max partial-mashes, it would be handy to know the maximum amount of adjuncts I could use
Bottled & carbing: Nothin
drinking: Poet on Payday Wee Heavy
gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Old 03-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiracle View Post
I can't find anything on ProMash that answers his question.
The ProMash recommendation was more to do with creating your own recipes and less to do with the OP's specific question.

How much base malt you need depends on what adjuncts you are using, how much of them you are using, the size of your mash, ect...