did i screw up a batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnyclicks

Reaction score
as i was placing airlock into plastic lid the rubber grommet fell in! and if you didn't know, no they do not float. after useless attemps with long spoons i sanitized my arm and got it out in one quick shot. i just pitched in liquid yeast. did i ruin this batch?

Welcome to Home Brew Talk!

As long as your arm was sanitized well, you did the best you could. If you do some searching, you will find that this question has been asked many times, and it is very rare that these end up in a bad batch. It isn't good practice, but you should be just fine. RDWHAHB!

I wouldn't worry about it. My first brew I made so many bonehead mistakes and it turned out decent. Just learn from all your mistakes and your brewdays will progressively get better. Alot of my first posts were very similar to yours and so I'll share the best piece of advice I got.

Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew

Welcome to HBT!

You are among the best by joining "the grommet in the pail club". The good news is that your beer will come out fine. If it doesn't it's not the grommet's fault. :D

thanks guys. this is probably my fifth or sixth batch and haven't lost one. but when i saw that grommet pop in i felt my heart drop! i'll hope for best

I quit using the grommets and use a 5 Liter keg mini bung. Great seal and the 3 peice airlocks fit perfectly. Also you can use the plastic insert to plug it up when you shake the pail to aereate. You may need to drill the hole slightly bigger.....I think I used 11/16th bit. Hope that helps for future brews. Ryno

thanks guys. this is probably my fifth or sixth batch and haven't lost one. but when i saw that grommet pop in i felt my heart drop! i'll hope for best

Oh, and for future reference most people think you're better off leaving it in there and putting some (sanitized) tinfoil over the hole (or entire lid) than diving in. An airlock really isn't necessary on a primary if you keep it covered. Get the grommet out after you get the beer out.

Oh, and for future reference most people think you're better off leaving it in there and putting some (sanitized) tinfoil over the hole (or entire lid) than diving in. An airlock really isn't necessary on a primary if you keep it covered. Get the grommet out after you get the beer out.

Yeah, that's what I did. I leave the grommet in there, and then just stuck the airlock in the hole with a little duct tape to hold it.

I bought another $.35 grommet, and started putting the airlock on the lid, then the lid on the bucket, and it never happened again!

Yeah, that's what I did. I leave the grommet in there, and then just stuck the airlock in the hole with a little duct tape to hold it.

I bought another $.35 grommet, and started putting the airlock on the lid, then the lid on the bucket, and it never happened again!

I do the same concept with my carboys. I put the airlock in the stopper before placing the stopper on the carboy so it wont fall in.

as i was placing airlock into plastic lid the rubber grommet fell in! and if you didn't know, no they do not float. after useless attemps with long spoons i sanitized my arm and got it out in one quick shot. i just pitched in liquid yeast. did i ruin this batch?

Pffff, happens all the time. FYI, if (when) it happens again, just leave it. You're more likely to contaminate the brew trying to get it than just leaving it. I keep a couple of extra grommets around just for that....

Yep mine is still enjoying its beer bath! I just have to remember that its still in there before I dump the trub down the disposal!

Back