Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > I want to do a strawberry...

Old 03-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
spitfire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I want to do a strawberry...

I want to do a strawberry beer. Something light, crisp an all around good summertime beer. This will also be a beer I want my wife to try as she is not a beer drinker and thought this might a good beer for her to try.

Originally, i was thinking do a wheat but think I would rather do something else like maybe Liberty Cream Ale seen here Liberty Cream Ale w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

What do you think? I was just going to add strawberry/kiwi extract to the bottling bucket to add the flavor.

Would I be better off actually racking into the secondary with strawberries in it? If so, frozen or fresh and how many pounds?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
brewmasterpa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

personal preference on the extract or fresh fruit. do you want it to just taste like fruit beer, or do you want to feel like you actually made it taste like fruit beer. extract in the bucket is the easiest and probably cheapest. actually using fruit can be tricky, but done right, yields great results. use frozen fruit because the cells have already burst from freezing and easily release their flavor. also, im big on boiling the fruit to prevent from spoiling beer from the wild yeast. just boil it for 10-15 minutes in just enough water to cover the fruit, then pulverize the fruit well with a potato masher, then into the secondary, then rack the beer on top of it. you want to use 1lbs per 1gallon of beer. 5 gallon batch=5 lbs fruit. dont forget to cool the fruit before you put the beer in, and also remember when you brew your beer, youre going to need to brew an extra .75 gallons because youre going to lose that much from the massive amount of spent fruit. or just live with making a smaller batch. it depends on how much fermentation space you have.

You like fishsticks, what are you, a gay fish?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
spitfire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info. Do you feel the Liberty Cream and strawberry would be a nice combo opposed to say a wheat/strawberry combo? I am a little worried about not getting as much strawberry flavor going the frozen route.

So how long would you say 2 primary 2 weeks secondary? or should I go 1/3

Old 03-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
brewmasterpa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i would actually suggest a wheat base because youre going to have a clash of flavors with the crystal malt and the fruit. if you use fresh fruit and the proper amount, youll have plenty of fruit flavor, if anything, youll lose some of your maltiness. fruit tends to mask the maltiness of the beer, and this is especially prvelant with barley base beers. try the wheat it should come out better. and by the way, when you pasteurize the fruit, youll have pectic haze in the finished product, the wheat base hides this due to the fact that wheat beer is hazy to begin with. go with 14 days primary, 10 days secondary if you use the wheat base, 14-21 secondary if you use a barley base. you dont want wheat beers to age too long.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
spitfire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, I will look more into wheat, I'm just not a huge fan of wheat beers and wanted to maybe try the cream ale or a blonde or something like that.

Just so I know why.......why don't you want wheat beers to age to long?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
brewmasterpa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

well you can do a barley based beer, but i would stick to a pale ale or a blonde base. i did a pale ale base once and the only complaint was that i had very low maltiness when it was done because the fruit masked the flavor. this wont happen with wheat. one way to fix this would be to bump that amount of malt that you use. give it a shot. the wheat beer retains its malty flavor better when its not aged as long. the flavor of the beer tends to age out with wheat, whereas with barley beers, youre trying to mellow the hop and adjunct flavors and so you age longer. i dont know the exact science behind it, im sure somebody will responde with the exact science, but thats what i go by. my wheats always turn out great.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
spitfire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well thanks for the info you have a been a great help. I think I will go with wheat for the first crack at this. I now just have to decide between frozen or extract. Lower risk with extract so I might go with that for the first spin and maybe try frozen on the next batch.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The biggest 'issue' with the extracts is they can taste very manufactured...like drinking an air freshener instead a strawberry infused beer.

I've used plenty of frozen berries in mead making and never had any contamination issues, and never bothered to boil the fruit first either. If I had access to fresh strawberries, I'd still freeze them first to break down the cell walls, so if you go the real fruit route just get some decent, no sugar/syrup added frozen berries.

As far as how many, you'll probably want 3lbs or more to get a noticable strawberry flavor/aroma.

If you go extract, buy some first and maybe add a little bit to a bottle of boulevard wheat, just to get an idea of how that extract is gonna come across in a wheat beer that isn't heavy on hops. Then you'll know if its gona taste like strawberry kool-aid, or a strawberry blond
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
spitfire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am going to order the strawberry extract regardless and just add some to some wheat beers I have sitting at home and go from there. I do like the fact that I would be more involved in the brewing process if I were to use fresh/frozen fruit rather than extract. If I got with frozen I am thinking 3-5lbs, leaning more towards the 5 lbs side of the spectrum.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
katja
Recipes 

I just made a pale ale Amarillo hops for bittering, flavor and aroma and I can definitely detect a mild strawberry flavor in it. Definitely a strong grapefruit flavor/aroma, but it's complemented by a hint of strawberry.