Friday I put together and installed a DIY sight gauge for my new keggle. I wanted it to be able to survive bumping and dinging without damage so I went with a full attachment at each end.
Materials were as follows, and ran about $25 total (I had the copper pipe)...And I know the regular black o-rings are not the best to use with boiling liquids.
Each of the keggle attachments is:
1/2” copper street elbow
1/2” to 3/8” reducing pipe to male threaded connection
Two 5/8” I.D 1/8” o-rings
two 5/8” stainless steel washers (note photo only shows one, I added another)
3/8” to 1/2” female threaded to pipe connection
The 1/2” to 3/8” reduction provides more material at the connection to bear on the washer and o-ring. The pipe was sweated to the elbows and those to the threaded connections.
The sight glass portion:
12” 3/8” O.D. Borosilicate glass tube
3 3/8” I.D. ½” O.D. silicone o-rings
1/2” copper pipe with 11” slot cut into it
The o-rings were slipped onto the tube, two at the bottom (security), and one at the top, an inch or more from the end. The tube was slipped into the slotted copper and the o-rings were pushed down into the copper pipe. I had to work at it a little to get the ½” of the glass inside the pipe evenly at each end. I used a short piece of split vinyl tubing to work the o-rings along.
I drilled the holes and installed it next to the weldless faucet fitting from Bargain Fittings.
Saturday I calibrated it with measured amounts and it has a clear three and a half to about twelve gallon range. It needed some tightening…
Sunday I fired the whole up for a maiden voyage with a Scottish 60 Shilling ale. Some drips at the faucet and sight gauge, but as things expanded they stopped. Here is the inside view which includes the 3 cups of trub left behind.