Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > when can i drink my cider

Old 03-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
like2brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default when can i drink my cider

gonna be in the primary for ten days next saturday. gonna bottle it then. carb it and wait. i know time will do wonders but i am impatient 5 gallons of motts and a packet of safale-s04. what do you think

Old 03-23-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6220 Times on 4432 Posts
Likes Given: 1670

I'd not even bottle it for at least a month. At 10 days, it might not be done fermenting, it might not be clear, and it might taste really yeasty.

Ideally, you'd bottle it at about 3 months old or later. I can understand wanting to rush it, but you don't want yeasty bottle bombs.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Agreed, it is most definitely not ready to bottle after 10 days. I say wait unless until it clears completely, even if you are too impatient to age it at all.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:27 AM   #4
nickmpower
Recipes 

I am impatient too. I say after 10 days you could stick it in the fridge for a couple weeks (in the primary) then it will be fine. Though this will only work if your are not carbing or force carbing as there will likely still be some sugar left

Old 03-23-2009, 04:40 AM   #5
sceneater
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

4 weeks! You'll be good at 4 weeks. You could always take a sample to hold you over. Bottle bombs are bad news.

Secondary:

Bottled:Southern Sweet Cider

Kegged:Cherry Bomb Cider, Southern Sweet Cider,
Double Chocolate Milk Stout

On Deck:
Smuttynose Imperial Stout clone, None More Black Vanilla Stout, BCB IPA, Southern Sweet Cider

www.myspace.com/motleybrewfl

Old 03-23-2009, 04:45 AM   #6
corobre
Recipes 

Looks like I made my first experimental cider(s) about the same time you did. They were pretty much done fermenting so I racked them today to new jugs for the clarification benefits, which are substantial. See cooking, roasting, brewing: first hard apple cider, part 4 if you are curious.

It was also good chance to sample...and no, of course that wasn't my primary motivation! They are definitely pretty green at this point. I would recommend having a taste so that you can get a sense of how the cider progresses over time.

Steve

Old 03-23-2009, 04:49 AM   #7
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Just make more, that way you have some aging while you are drinking the last batch. Drinking it all early will get you hooked on drinking it young, when you could be enjoying it so much more if you let it age. Trust me, it is worth the wait.

I personally won't bottle till it is crystal clear, if not letting it bulk age for a few (or 9) months. If you get a bit of assembly line going, when one batch is ready to start drinking the next will be aging and ready to drink when you run out of the last. It is definitely worth it, not sure how else to stress it.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6220 Times on 4432 Posts
Likes Given: 1670

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmpower View Post
I am impatient too. I say after 10 days you could stick it in the fridge for a couple weeks (in the primary) then it will be fine. Though this will only work if your are not carbing or force carbing as there will likely still be some sugar left
That's the one thing I wouldn't do- 10 day old cider will taste like ass. Sticking it in the fridge will slow the aging process, and maybe prevent the yeast from continuing to finish it up, but that will really give hard cider a bad name.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
like2brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I'd not even bottle it for at least a month. At 10 days, it might not be done fermenting, it might not be clear, and it might taste really yeasty.

Ideally, you'd bottle it at about 3 months old or later. I can understand wanting to rush it, but you don't want yeasty bottle bombs.

i think i can wait a month at least, if its gonna make it better. i read a few posts with guys drinking apfelwein in just a month or so so i figured what the hey i'll be alright with my cider. i will be patient and in the mean time get another one going. thanks guys for saving me

Old 03-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
ScrumpyMan
Recipes 

Maybe I am just old (44) but I have found that drinking it young and yeasty can lead to unwanted physical side effects.