Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Crimps Leaking - Recap?

Old 03-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Krooz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Crimps Leaking - Recap?

Just registered this morning with a problem. I have bottled one batch in PET bottles that came out great. Saved up a case of Sierra Nevada bottles and bought a Super Agata capper to bottle some Englisman's Brown ale. I bottled it Friday afternoon. Just for the heck of it I put some latex fingers from a glove over random bottles to check for leaks -some leaked -aaagh! Anyway, I put the whole batch in buckets of water to look for leaks - after several hours nothing was obvious. Last night I pulled the bottles out of the water - re-covered 5 with the latex fingers - this morning they're partially inflated. If I grip the caps real tight I can barely get them to turn some - probably not good.

So, can I pop the tops off and recap after one day? Will I need to reprime? Should I bottle in PET until I perfect the capping technique? If so, do I need to reprime there as well? I hate to loose this batch and am struggling with what to do with this. Thanks for any advice!

Krooz

Old 03-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 680 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Yesterday I opened a bottle of bitter that I had bottled in a twist off bottle by mistake. It had obviously been leaking, but it was still carbed to a degree, and still perfectly drinkable after 3 weeks, so I wouldn't panic if I were you. Maybe I would just try re-capping.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Krooz
Recipes 

Thanks LGI. I did a trial and put a latex finger on a new bottle of Tonic - after an hour it was inflating. So I'm with you on leaving it alone. I looked at all the bottles and several that didn't look quite true I put the the capper again - just slight pressure on it - rotating 90 dgrees and doing it again. Now I'm going to leave alone and see how it comes out.... keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks

Krooz

Old 03-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My advice: Lock those puppies up somewhere, give someone else the key, and make them promise you to not give the key back for 3 weeks.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Krooz
Recipes 

Too funny - probably worrying too much. They're squirreled away now - out of sight -out of mind ....

Krooz

Old 03-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Now you've got the idea. And get another batch going!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Krooz
Recipes 

Will do. I have a batch of Irish Stout to brew next.....

Krooz