Beginning brewers - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginning brewers

Old 03-21-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
lostspring
Recipes 

Feb 2009

The information I read for beginning brewers is that Ale is the best choice to begin with, it is easier for newbies.
Is it only because of the higher fermenting temps or is there something else. I am refering mainly to the extract kits.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:41 AM   #2
SumnerH
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Alexandria, VA, USA
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostspring View Post
The information I read for beginning brewers is that Ale is the best choice to begin with, it is easier for newbies.
Is it only because of the higher fermenting temps or is there something else. I am refering mainly to the extract kits.
Temperature control is a major issue, and it's just one more thing to worry about that's easier if you've gotten the rest of the process down with an ale first.

Also, many lagers are "cleaner" (have less big flavors of their own), which means that any small defect is going to be very apparent. If a hoppy or malty ale has a slight off-flavor, it'll be pretty well hidden by the ale's other big flavors. In a pilsener, it'll be right there in your face.

So waiting until you've brewed a couple of beers to get the hang of your sanitation, controlling your fermentation temperatures on the much easier ale scale, etc is just a good idea.
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-21-2009, 02:47 AM   #3
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Jul 2008
NYS
Liked 68 Times on 58 Posts

Lagers take longer as well (generally), however, lots of people brew lagers using ale yeast, which is fine.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #4
dmob29
Recipes 

Oct 2008
So Cal

I have been brewing for a few months and only doing ales due to the fact I don't have a spare fridge or something to get temps low enough to lager. There is a mess load of ales out there so I am totally fine with that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle View Post
Lagers take longer as well (generally), however, lots of people brew lagers using ale yeast, which is fine.

Uhm.... if you brew a lager with ale yeast, it then becomes an "ale" correct? Or I am missing something about the whole top/bottom fermentation process?

Old 03-21-2009, 03:17 AM   #5
SumnerH
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Alexandria, VA, USA
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmob29 View Post

Uhm.... if you brew a lager with ale yeast, it then becomes an "ale" correct? Or I am missing something about the whole top/bottom fermentation process?
That's right. The kind of yeast you use is what defines whether it's a lager or ale.

But: Lots of people substitute ale yeasts into lager recipes to brew light, clean ales with many lager-like characteristics. They won't be like true lagers, but you can get some pretty light, clean blonde ales and the like.
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #6
dmob29
Recipes 

Oct 2008
So Cal

Hope I didn't sound like an ass, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something!

Old 03-21-2009, 04:56 AM   #7
Donthoseme
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Anchorage, AK
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

no you got it dmob29. you got that ****!

UNDEAD Dunkelweise
Baby Bryce Barleywine
1st Anniversary Ale (Imperial Porter)
Night of The Living Dead Ale (belgian porter) (DECEASED)
Dawn of The Dead Ale (Belgial IPA)(DECEASED)
The Omega Ale (Quad)(DECEASED)