Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Help with carbonator cap

Old 03-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfever View Post
Even if the beer is already carbed? I mean this beer was in a keg and carbed for weeks.

Thanks for alll the help
Yep. It doesn't seem to hurt.

I got the last bits of an Amber Ale out of my 3 gallon keg Sunday (I needed to clean it for the next batch). I put the ale into 1 liter and 20 oz thick PET bottles, then hit them each with a squirt of 30 psi CO2 for about 30 minutes each. That knocks the foam down and give the bottles a little extra pressure.

Tasty.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 133 Posts

When I use the Carbonator, I always shake the bottle until the CO2 stops flowing. That's the only thing that works for me.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
When I use the Carbonator, I always shake the bottle until the CO2 stops flowing. That's the only thing that works for me.
Un-carbed beer, yeah, I shake the crap out of it.

If it is carbed beer from the keg, I just hit it with a little high pressure CO2 to make up for what is lost in filling the bottle.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:22 AM   #14
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love my carbonator cap. I think what these guys said is right. Always hit it with 30-40 PSI after you put beer in it whether it is carbed or not. Make sure you squeeze the excess air out of the bottle too by squeezing the bottle while pushing doqn on the poppet with your finger nail. Once you have liquid coming out the poppet then you should connect it to the gas line which is already slightly pressurized. Turn it up to 30 PSI and shake the hell out of it. I just pulled a sample from a carboy that I have crash cooling and put it in a PET bottle to carbonate and sample. Carbed beer in five minutes...who can beat that. I hated sitting around waiting for bottles to carbonate.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
fishnfever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thaks every one for all the tips!! I am going to do a trial run later this week..

Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 718 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 562

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
My only problem with this is that beer foam can get up into your gas line. I charge it with 30-40 lbs, disconnect and then shake the crap out of it. Repeat after it has had time to settle a little until it no longer takes any CO2.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #17
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
My only problem with this is that beer foam can get up into your gas line. I charge it with 30-40 lbs, disconnect and then shake the crap out of it. Repeat after it has had time to settle a little until it no longer takes any CO2.
I always pop the gas connector off the cap before I shake the bottle. If the bottle is upright when you re-connect the gas, the 30 psi pushes the foam right back down.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #18
joeunc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

quick question, that may sound stupid. I am thinking of getting one of the carbonator caps. I see people saying they are doing more than one bottle. After you carb it in the bottle whether one or two liter, is there anyway at all to do another one? How in the world do you keep the co2 in if have to pull off the carbonator? Can you put the bottles own cap back on and shake and stilll get some carobonation. How do you do more than one bottle with the carbonator?

thanks

Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
madewithchicken
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeunc View Post
quick question, that may sound stupid. I am thinking of getting one of the carbonator caps. I see people saying they are doing more than one bottle. After you carb it in the bottle whether one or two liter, is there anyway at all to do another one? How in the world do you keep the co2 in if have to pull off the carbonator? Can you put the bottles own cap back on and shake and stilll get some carobonation. How do you do more than one bottle with the carbonator?

thanks
Basically I over carbonate the beer in the two liter, take off the carb cap, quickly replace it with a normal cap. It works pretty well.

I probably will not be around much anymore. I had to close my restaurant and get a real job so i do not have the time to hang out online all day.

Check out my videos on my profile or at:

1920fairfax.com Just voted the worst show on the internet.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #20
Mad_Milo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

As long as the beer/soda has co2 in solution, it shouldn't go too flat. It's just like a 2-liter of soda from the store... rock hard until you open it the first time. Once opened, the gas comes out of solution to fill the space and reach equilibrium again, but at a lower pressure.