Hefeweizen Help - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hefeweizen Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
chode720
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Cleveland
Posts: 527
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts



This is my first time brewing a hefeweizen and I am not sure when to bottle it.

It has been fermenting for a week now and the fermentation has all but stopped. I used a yeast started and it was going crazy for the 3 days and now there is no bubbling and my FG is down where my recipe says it should be (1.011)

I have seen to not transfer the hefeweizen to a secondary and to just bottle after the primary, but from what I have read, most people wait a couple weeks for the fermentation to stop.

I guess my question is, is it okay for me to go ahead and bottle after a week and it appears that the fermentation has stopped or should I hold off to be safe?


Thanks!


 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
double_e5
 
double_e5's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Kansas City
Posts: 900
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Use your hydrometer. If it says you are done fermenting, go ahead and bottle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
SeamusMac
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 614
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Hefe's are a bit different from other beers and are the best for impatient people like myself If the gravity is stable at 1.011 then prime and bottle it! Leave it for 2 weeks at 70-72 degrees and test it out, drink em young.

I made the mistake of waiting too long to bottle my first wheat beer and it's kind of bitter now that it's about 2 months since brew day.
__________________
Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
double_e5
 
double_e5's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Kansas City
Posts: 900
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMac View Post
Hefe's are a bit different from other beers and are the best for impatient people like myself If the gravity is stable at 1.011 then prime and bottle it! Leave it for 2 weeks at 70-72 degrees and test it out, drink em young.

I made the mistake of waiting too long to bottle my first wheat beer and it's kind of bitter now that it's about 2 months since brew day.
A two month old hefe shouldn't turn bitter. You have something else going on if it was fine then turned bitter.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
sempf
Hellbranch Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sempf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Columbus, Ohio, Ohio
Posts: 131

I brew a ton of hefe and I almost always bottle after 10 days. This latest batch is the first I ever racked, and that was just because I didn't have the time to bottle it. We will see how it turns out.

S

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
nealf
 
nealf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Hiram, GA
Posts: 1,350
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


I am kegging tonight, after 10 days, however there is no risk of bottle bombs in my case... but, if fermentation is done, according to your hydrometer, go ahead a bottle IMO.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
chode720
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Cleveland
Posts: 527
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by double_e5 View Post
Use your hydrometer. If it says you are done fermenting, go ahead and bottle.
Already used the hydrometer to get the 1.011 reading

Thanks all for the info! I figured it was safe to bottle, just wanted to make sure first.....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
SeamusMac
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 614
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by double_e5 View Post
A two month old hefe shouldn't turn bitter. You have something else going on if it was fine then turned bitter.
I'm dumbfounded as to what it could be. I used a FestaBrew kit and I had zero indications of infection; it bottle carbed just fine. I did bottle it in Corona bottles, perhaps the light go to it somehow and skunked it up. Although I can't detect any off-odours...
__________________
Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:39 AM   #9
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chode720 View Post
Already used the hydrometer to get the 1.011 reading

Thanks all for the info! I figured it was safe to bottle, just wanted to make sure first.....
It's done.

I always secondary my hWs for at least a couple of days. Reason? The extra time allows more yeast to fall out of suspension. When you see it starting to clear (it'll be darker at the top) is when I rack to the bottling bucket or keg.

Allowing more of the yeast to drop out puts less yeast into the bottle and into your glass.
__________________
HB Bill

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Bavarian Hefeweizen not like Paulaner Hefeweizen - How come? cootr_brn Extract Brewing 22 05-19-2014 11:06 PM
Hefeweizen COBrewer Recipes/Ingredients 5 04-28-2009 04:41 PM
Help with hefeweizen please noisy123 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 19 08-05-2008 12:18 PM
Hefeweizen - Almost Done? Eskimo Spy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 07-20-2008 02:34 AM
2nd AG, Hefeweizen thedaler All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 04-25-2007 09:21 PM


Forum Jump