I just read an interesting thread - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I just read an interesting thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
LSDracula
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Chandler, AZ
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it was a hooch thread
and people were getting all crazy about the underage traffic on this website
I just wanted to know what is the cutoff point in legality of underage brewing
the base ingredients and equipment are all available to anyone underage
nothing illegal about buying some malt extract, yeast, hops, and plastic injection molded equipment, buckets... etc if you are 19
where is the cut off point where it becomes illegal
is it when a minor puts the yeast in the wort... then they are no longer aloud to touch it
I don't get it?

I really wouldn't normally put much consideration into this thought but there was a 9 page thread about blasting this member who may or may not have been a minor (he said he was 47) who wanted a recipe for some legit hooch (I guess he meant prison toilet wine style hooch not the distilled moonshine kind)

I dunno I guess it's kinda ironic that the first homebrew I ever tried was from my sisters boyfriend, he was 17 at the time

BTW his brew tasted like crap (it was a Mr. Beer brew)

Old 03-19-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
llazy_llama

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Rapid City, South Dakota
Liked 90 Times on 28 Posts

1. Possession or consumption of alcohol is illegal in the US for anyone under the age of 21
  2. Participation on this forum is restricted to those 21 and over, if they are posting from the US
  3. Possessing, purchasing, or transporting brewing equipment is legal for anyone in the US of any age
  4. Threads about hooch, prison wine, pruno, or other topics that generally relate to getting drunk on the cheap are not allowed on HBT

Old 03-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

It becomes illegal once the yeast is pitched. After that the wort legally becomes beer instead of barley sugar water. Sure the ingredients themselves are legal to have, but good luck finding a LHBS that will sell them to people under 21.

We talk about making fine tasting beer, mead, wine, and ciders here, not making booze on the cheap. That's easily found on 'other' sites or usenet.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2006
St Louis MO
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
It becomes illegal once the yeast is pitched. After that the wort legally becomes beer instead of barley sugar water. Sure the ingredients themselves are legal to have, but good luck finding a LHBS that will sell them to people under 21.
I would imagine one could get ingredients on the interweb pretty easily under 21.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

Realistically there are probably a few members here who are under 21. The smart ones keep their mouth shut, or don't give it away.

The dumb ones put their real age in their profile, or their mannerisms cause one of us to google their user name only to find that they are 16 on MYSPACE.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

We are a community of people that helps each other out. There is some implied trust in that relationship. If you ask a question, you have trust that we are all answering with your best intentions in mind.

If someone is underage and asks for help they are knowingly taking advantage of that trust. They are placing the community at risk.

We don't encourage anyone to talk about illegal behavior nor do we knowingly assist someone in doing so.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

TopsyKrett Likes This 
Old 03-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
llazy_llama

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Rapid City, South Dakota
Liked 90 Times on 28 Posts

So you're saying I shouldn't create that thread about the best way to dispose of dead hookers?

Fine, ollllo, you win this round.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
BugleBrew
Recipes 

Aug 2008
SE Michigan

I want to read this thread OP referred to

Old 03-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts

It's also illegal to homebrew in KY, MS, AL, and OK. Should those people not be allowed to post or contribute to the forum?

Just sayin'.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
Donthoseme
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Anchorage, AK
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
So you're saying I shouldn't create that thread about the best way to dispose of dead hookers?

Fine, ollllo, you win this round.
I'm sorry but that's awesome. Why arn't people talking about the funny awesomeness of that statement?

UNDEAD Dunkelweise
Baby Bryce Barleywine
1st Anniversary Ale (Imperial Porter)
Night of The Living Dead Ale (belgian porter) (DECEASED)
Dawn of The Dead Ale (Belgial IPA)(DECEASED)
The Omega Ale (Quad)(DECEASED)