Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Ginger beer with alcohol!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My last batch, (and I am trying this from memory, so I might be off)

6 lbs Extra light DME
1 lb Clover Honey
1lb Biscuit Malt (Steeped for flavor)
1 - 2 oz Cascade / Centennial Boiling hops. (Somewhere around 8-15HBU)
1 oz Cascade at the last five minutes of boil for hop flavor
6 - 7.5 oz fresh shredded ginger.

Ginger is added at flameout with the cascade. I don't boil my ginger, but I hold it above 160 degrees for 20 minutes to pasteurize.

1 week primaried, 1 week secondaried. Siphoning is a bitch, the ginger clogs up the siphon intake.

I've made several batches over the last year with occasional variants in the recipe. This comes out around 6 - 7% ABV, is a cool and fresh beer with very little bitterness or hop aroma, and a clean ginger bite. My goal was to make it just shy of overpoweringly gingery, and this recipe hits it just where I wanted.

My next batch of this will probably have another 8 - 12 HBU of boiling hops, and an ounce less of ginger.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tried using ginger in my first brew. I used about 16 oz. of fresh grated ginger BUT I warn to anybody who wants the spicyness not to boil the ginger! I boiled it for about 10 minutes, and I cant even taste a hint of spicy in my beer. Maybe a habanero will work out a little better.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #13

When did you add the ginger? At the end of boil?and did you add any to the secondary?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I followed Darias's recipe pretty closely. I came out with a beautiful beer. Thanks Darias.

I tried to follow his suggestion to "hold the ginger at 160 for 20 minutes to pasteurize." However when I put my ginger in the microwave i didn't watch closely enough and it boiled over. Boiling ginger reduces the spiciness so I stuck another batch of ginger in the microwave and did it again. I'm going from memory but this was a total of 12-15 oz briefly boiled.

The spicy flavor is mostly gone. Although there is some left. If you are looking for a spicy beer this isn't it. It is more of an easy drinking beer. There is a nice note of honey. There is also an interesting ginger character to the beer. Ginger has another flavor in addition to its spice. Its that flavor. The beer also has a slight astringent flavor. Doesn't detract too much.
Also the beer has a beautiful rich thick and creamy head. It has a crisp mouth feel. It is a gorgeous amber color.

If I were to do this again I would go with a little ginger in the secondary in addition. Just an oz or so. It would give it some ginger kick.