Ideas for cooling fermentation box - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Ideas for cooling fermentation box

Old 03-18-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
Aug 2008
Chicago area
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I never planned on building one, and only because I saw a box on sale did I think about it, and now I've ran out of space and am trying to figure out the best way to cool the box. I was originally planning on two small fans from an old IBM and running a remote thermostat, but with my limited space I'm really not sure. Any advice or creative thoughts? I was almost thinking of some kind of rack that could fit down on the carboy with a space for the airlock that could hold some ice bottles and the fan unit. No clue how I'd do it, just thinking. I haven't used it yet so I have no idea how cold it will keep. I'll be dropping the wort in from the top with a carboy carrier. Is my best bet just using the 2 liters around the carboy?

fermentation box - HomeBrewTalk Gallery

Old 03-18-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
Feb 2007
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Try searching craigslist for an old minifridge in bad shape, take it apart, and dangle the cooling element down in your box.

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts

Old 03-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
Jan 2009
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

"There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people who ask questions."

Primary: none
Secondary: American Light Lager
Bottled: Glücksweizen (closest to an amber wheat I guess).
Bottled: Apfelwein
Kegged: Cream Ale

Upcoming:a Brown Ale, and a Belgian Ale, maybe a Porter.