22oz Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hophazard

Reaction score
I've decided to start using 22oz bottles to reduce the total number of bottles needed for each batch (not to mention the fact that I don't remember the last time I just had one). I did a quick search but didn't find anything on how much headspace is ideal for this size bottle. Do people typically follow the same rule as 12oz (i.e. as much as is displaced by the bottling wand)? Or would you leave just a little bit more space than that? Thanks.

I had the same question about my last bottling session and just bottled a couple in 22 oz to compare. They seemed to condition just the same way as 12 oz, maybe even a little quicker...don't know how that makes sense but then again I'm not a chemist!

Awesome. Thanks for the help; I love it when the answer is intuitive. To be frank, I'm just glad that I didn't get re-directed to Revvy's bottling tips (which is awesome, by the way ;)).

As an aside, wouldn't it seem that leaving an identical amount of headroom in a bottle with 10 extra ounces of beer (and a correpsonding extra amount of priming sugar) would result in extra carbonation in the 22ozs compared to the 12ozs? Probably more of a theoretical question, but still...

Awesome. Thanks for the help; I love it when the answer is intuitive. To be frank, I'm just glad that I didn't get re-directed to Revvy's bottling tips (which is awesome, by the way ;)).

As an aside, wouldn't it seem that leaving an identical amount of headroom in a bottle with 10 extra ounces of beer (and a correpsonding extra amount of priming sugar) would result in extra carbonation in the 22ozs compared to the 12ozs? Probably more of a theoretical question, but still...

The head room in your 22 oz. bottle is more than the 12 oz. bottle. Head room is exactly the amount of liquid displaced by the bottling wand, which goes deeper into the 22 oz. bottle, thus more volume in the head.

Back