Adding Oak Chips.... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Adding Oak Chips....

Old 03-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Ewalk02

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Kansas City, Missouri
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm getting ready to add oak chips to a brew but I have a quick question before I do. I'll end up filtering this beer when its done so do I filter now then add the oak chips or do I filter when everything is done. Its been in the primary for about 6 weeks and a secondary for about 2 weeks so far.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Devantf
Recipes 

Jan 2009

I added oak chips to the beer I just bottled. I dont consider myself experienced at all, but I just sprayed them with a little sanitizer and added them after i transfered to the secondary. Let it sit for 3 weeks in the secondary and then bottled. All the chips were resting at the bottom of my secondary when i bottled. Didnt notice any wood in the beer, but hey, Ill let you know in about a week when im drinking them.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
leghorn

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Yorktown, VA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Put the chips in some whiskey for about 2 weeks (just enough to cover the chips); then add to the chips to the secondary. This sanitizes them and starts to break them down for the vanillin to leach into the brew. The whiskey will turn very dark and almost smell like vanilla; you can add it to the secondary as well. Sample every few days after 1 week has passed and pull them out/bottle when you are satisfied.

This has worked for me in the past; and this puts your brew in secondary for a total of 5-6 weeks; which will not hurt it; just test your patience....

Old 03-18-2009, 03:35 AM   #4
Ewalk02

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Kansas City, Missouri
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well after reading some of the other posts on adding oak chips I think I may have screwed up. I put about 12 ounces of american oak chips (soaked in Jack Daniels) in tonight. Should I quickly remove these or just RDWHAHB?? I'm planning on letting this thing sit for about 6 months anyways (its up around 10% abv) because it needs to mellow out.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
wild
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Surprise, AZ.
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

12 oz of chips? Wow! I did 4 oz of American and 2 oz of French medium and it was a bit too much in my opinion. The second batch was with only 4 oz of American added for 8 months. My suggestion would be to rack to tertiary for the 6-8 months to get it off the chips after about 5 days. Did you toss the JD in with it? Another idea would be to keg it for that 6-8 months at room temp to age and mellow rather than another fermentation vessel.
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
llazy_llama

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Rapid City, South Dakota
Liked 90 Times on 28 Posts

12 oz of oak chips is some serious oaking! The good news is that oak flavor tends to mellow out with age. If you added the oak to your primary (it's difficult to tell from your posts what stage your beer was in) I would allow 3-4 weeks for proper oaking, then rack to secondary for at least 3 months to allow it to mellow. Since you said you already plan on bulk aging for ~6 months, I think you'll actually lose most of the oak flavor in that time. With 12 oz aged @ 6 months, I think that might actually work out quite nicely for your beer.

Please do let us know when it's all said and done. I think it will turn out delicious, and am interested in the finished product.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

Get. them. out! That's way too many oak chips, and will take forever to get rid of the taste. I once added 4 oz for two weeks, and I dubbed the beer Wood Beer, aka Pinocchio's Ass Beer.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:44 AM   #8
Tlylebrew
Recipes 

Mar 2009

Eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww!! I didn't know Pinocchio had an ass!! LOL!!

Edit: Nearly spit my brew all over my keyboard reading that one :-)

Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
spenghali
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Corvallis, OR
Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

My LHBS recommended 2 oz per 5 gallons (american oak). However, I plan on aging for about a year (next xmas). Should I use more oak for more time, or just leave the 2 ounces in there for the full year?