Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Business Plan for a Microbrewery

Old 03-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
foonder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Business Plan for a Microbrewery

One of the last 2 classes I have to take before I graduate is a Small Business Entrepreneur class where the final project is a 30 - 40 page business plan. I, naturally, decided to do mine on a microbrewery.

Does anyone have any good sources of information for how much a typical microbrewery sells / spends? Finding equipment prices is hard enough, never mind how much you actually sell your beer for and spend on malt & hops & yeast.

Any other bidness plan input is greatly appreciated. Who knows, if I get financing for my brewery, I might come here when I'm hiring.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

I know there's a couple guys on here who have opened them....lemme do some digging to find the thread (I'm having a senior moment and the thread name is on the tip o my tongue)

But this is a forum for professionals that might have some good resources for you.

ProBrewer.com: An Online Resource Serving The Beer Industry

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Revvy

Recipes 

Here ya go...pm Brewtopia he will prolly give you all the info you need...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/nake...ocation-61611/

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

You can also contact him directly through the website.. (I haven't seen much of him on here in awhile)

Naked City Brewing

Mention you are from here....

Old 03-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
foonder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Here ya go...pm Brewtopia he will prolly give you all the info you need...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/nake...ocation-61611/
Schweet. Thanks

Old 03-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Good luck!!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
caspio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I imagine prices would vary a lot based on your location. For our recent bulk grain buy, we purchased from a distributor (I think) in the bay area (CA) and had it shipped to northern california. shipping for the one pallet of grain (42 bags) was about $140-150. Below I've pasted in the price per pound on the different malts they had available. most of these were from Great Western malting company, which is middle of the road price wise. There's definitely room to go higher.

Munich $0.59
Brown $0.85
Vienna $0.59
Rosted Barley $0.86
Black $0.86
Choco $0.86
Crystal 15, 40, 60, 75 and 120 $0.69
Flaked barley $0.65
2 row $0.56
Pale ale $0.56
Wheat $0.59
Pilsen $0.62

I don't really know what's common practice in terms of yeast used. Sierra Nevada pays a company to maintain their original strain, and they get small shipments as needed that are built into massive starters.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
rj_hockey
Recipes 

You are just looking for a straight microbrewery? Or Brewpub?
On Tap: Woods Pale Ale, Double Citrus IPA, Blitzen Ale

Old 03-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This sounds really interesting. If you need an editor, or just somebody to read through and proof it, give me a shout.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
foonder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj_hockey View Post
You are just looking for a straight microbrewery? Or Brewpub?
The plan is for a brewery, however there is a timeline in the plan that (as of now) is 5 years deep, one of the plans is to open up a brewpub. A hop growing project isn't far behind the brewpub on the timeline.