One thing I am 100% certain on was the beginning SG, just consulted my notes to double check... actually I was a little surprised at the reading, and I double checked.
I checked the reading after I had pitched the yeast and stirred it vigorously for 6 minutes (till my arm fell off) so I am absolutey sure that the must was well blended.
NOW, that you brought this up, I started questioning my measurements...
The honey I used came in 5# bottles..I dumped three of them in, and then guessed on how much would leave one pound in the fourth bottle.
Also, I bought exactly four gallons of glacier water from a dispenser at the grocery store.
Since you brought up this discrepency I just checked my mixing room and pulled out the scale to see how much honey I actually left in the fourth bottle, and it is approximately 1 lb 4 oz. which means I actually used almost 19 lbs of honey....
I did not keep an empty bottle, but I imagine since they are plastic they weigh next to nothing.
I also have approximately 2 quarts water left over in the jug (five gallon water jug, filled with 4 gallons)
The level of the must reads exactly 5 gallons.
BUT, I did rinse the honey bottles with hot water to get all the honey out...so that would account for having some of the left over water.
The yeast nutrient was mixed with a small amount of water and the yeast was rehydrated with water..but nominal amounts really.
The cinammon water and vanilla account for some volume but not vast amounts.
So... I guess I need to change the documented recipe to 19 lbs honey...and god knows how much water exactly....
It appears to be very active at this point. I am going to bust it open tonight and check the sg....see if I can add more nutrients.
It appears I cannot make mead like I cook, I never measure anything and end up with great results in the kitchen... I will be more cautious on the next batch...if I don't screw this one up too bad.