My New 10g eHERMS System - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My New 10g eHERMS System

Old 03-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
mZnthebend
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Aurora, OH
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

My new system had it's second run this weekend. Things went very well. I thought I would post a few pics of my set-up and hope that others can draw some ideas from it.
The basics of the Nieuw Sassenheim Brewery are as follows:
-Stainless Steel Prep Table for base, casters added for movement
-Cooler as Mash Tun, adjustable height sparge arm, and copper manifold at the bottom, the bulkhead is a copper fitting, press fit into the cooler with silicone hose
-50ft Copper Coil in HLT as HEX run through a March pump
-HLT is heated with two 1500W Elements. Each element is on it's own circuit from the house, allowing me to run this set-up on standard 120V, eventually I will rig the boil kettle with 220V
-PID controls both elements
-Toggle Switches to control, elements, and pump, as well as stirrer if I decide it is necessary in the future. So far temps have been held within a degree with no stirrer
-Whole House Filter for incoming cold water
-No Quick Connects utilized. The silicone hose naturally slips over all the fittings in my brewery, I add a hose clamp on the HEX inlet and outlet, but everything else slips over a 1/2" hose barb. Just pinch it off and you can keep the wort/water in the line and transfer to the next barb. I highly recommend this approach, the silicone lines are the one of the best improvements I've made in a long time
-Hand Made Mash Paddle, 3x larger than necessary...dream BIG!

Cheers

Old 03-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
mZnthebend
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Aurora, OH
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Old 03-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
XXguy

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Southeastern PA
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

nice setup.... I like the stainless table & split top MLT. Do you manually stir the HLT?

Old 03-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
mZnthebend
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Aurora, OH
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXguy View Post
nice setup.... I like the stainless table & split top MLT. Do you manually stir the HLT?
I think I stirred the HLT 3 times the entire brew day. I think the mass of the 50' of copper helps to keep things pretty even. I thought I was going to use a stirrer, but in my two runs with the syste, I haven't seen a need for one yet.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
HomebrewJeff
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Lincoln Park, MI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Generally the need to stir would be greatest when you are heating your strike water. All of the heat goes up and the bottom of the kettle stays cold a lot longer. Stirring should help speed up the time it takes to heat things up.