Getting a dog - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Getting a dog

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
AKchill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AKchill's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Anchorage, AK
Posts: 126


So, I got permission from the Lord of my Land to own a dog. I'm hoping, if I can realistically do it, getting one at the beginning of summer. Up here, that is June. The only stipulation was that I kennel train it, which I was planning to do anyways. I'm looking for three things in a dog.

1.Child-loving. I have a four year old daughter, and I can't have some obnoxious breed like a Dalmation or a Pit. Don't get me wrong, Pit Bulls are amazing dogs, but I'm a little leery of raising one when we had so many attacks in Alaska by the Pits up here. Besides, I need a working dog.

2.Bird retrieving. I hunt birds. I'm not looking for a pointer. I need a retriever, but a mid-sized one. This leads right into...

3.Mid-size. I don't quite have the flexibility to take a lab or golden to work. I'm looking for a low-maintenance dog that loves kids and can bring ducks back to me.

I work a 8-5 job, and am willing to be very active with my dog, but don't think I can handle a huge dog. I had labs when I grew up, but I also know the time that had to be spent with them to make them good. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
__________________
"I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night."

-Greek Proverb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
MikeFlynn74
 
MikeFlynn74's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Posts: 3,876
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AKchill View Post
So, I got permission from the Lord of my Land to own a dog. I'm hoping, if I can realistically do it, getting one at the beginning of summer. Up here, that is June. The only stipulation was that I kennel train it, which I was planning to do anyways. I'm looking for three things in a dog.

1.Child-loving. I have a four year old daughter, and I can't have some obnoxious breed like a Dalmation or a Pit. Don't get me wrong, Pit Bulls are amazing dogs, but I'm a little leery of raising one when we had so many attacks in Alaska by the Pits up here. Besides, I need a working dog.

2.Bird retrieving. I hunt birds. I'm not looking for a pointer. I need a retriever, but a mid-sized one. This leads right into...

3.Mid-size. I don't quite have the flexibility to take a lab or golden to work. I'm looking for a low-maintenance dog that loves kids and can bring ducks back to me.

I work a 8-5 job, and am willing to be very active with my dog, but don't think I can handle a huge dog. I had labs when I grew up, but I also know the time that had to be spent with them to make them good. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
Show me more than 2 articles of Pitt attacks up here. *within 2-5 years of each other*
Want to come over and meet my Pitt? Seriously. If you are in Anchorage stop by.

2-3 are points you want a "RETRIEVER". So I dont know what you are asking.

Either go to the pound or spend 500$ on a dog.



As for companions- I own 3 different dogs. Husky/Lab, Full APBT, Rottie/Sled dog. And the Pitt at full size is smaller than the other 2
__________________
Quote:
If you find yourself going through hell, keep going- Winston Churchill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
eriktlupus
 
eriktlupus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Cereal City, USA
Posts: 2,618
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74 View Post
Show me more than 2 articles of Pitt attacks up here. *within 2-5 years of each other*
Want to come over and meet my Pitt? Seriously. If you are in Anchorage stop by.

2-3 are points you want a "RETRIEVER". So I dont know what you are asking.

Either go to the pound or spend 500$ on a dog.



As for companions- I own 3 different dogs. Husky/Lab, Full APBT, Rottie/Sled dog. And the Pitt at full size is smaller than the other 2
yeah but have you ever seen a pit swim for ducks?

since your going to kennel train the dog i wouldn't reccomend a lab, i've had two now and they perform better in the house.
__________________
primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS


join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency


 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
AKchill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AKchill's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Anchorage, AK
Posts: 126

I've seen your videos, and I would take my kid over anytime. They're just not for me. Maybe I shouldn't have bashed them, it wasn't my intention. I just know there are some Vick-like people up here, as there are anywhere, and that a pit wouldn't be good for me unless I knew where it came from.
__________________
"I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night."

-Greek Proverb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
MikeFlynn74
 
MikeFlynn74's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Posts: 3,876
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AKchill View Post
I've seen your videos, and I would take my kid over anytime. They're just not for me. Maybe I shouldn't have bashed them, it wasn't my intention. I just know there are some Vick-like people up here, as there are anywhere, and that a pit wouldn't be good for me unless I knew where it came from.
Thats cool- I get defensive as I think Pitts are by far the most family oriented dog I have ever seen.

Vick also had more dogs like Borebls and Dogo Argentos. Most of his really werent Pitts but what authorities call Pitt like dogs
__________________
Quote:
If you find yourself going through hell, keep going- Winston Churchill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Sir Humpsalot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Posts: 4,005
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts


I house sit for a lady who has kennel-trained all her German Shepherds. I've known her for years. Her dogs go straight into the kennel... but probably a little large for what you're looking for... SWMBO and I were looking at dogs this past year and were in agreement that we wanted a medium-sized dog, but disagreed wildly about what "medium-sized" was. To me, "Medium" is a small female german shepherd. "Small" is a husky. So I guess my size descriptions are a bit skewed...

How determined are you to make your dog into a retriever? Does he HAVE to retrieve? Or would it be nice? I'm wondering about some sort of mutt with the right personality traits... Lab/Collie mix? Golden/hound? It'd get you the size you want, a good shot at some of the traits... and save one from the pound...
__________________
In Process: Mango Beer, Homebrewers Pale Ale
Bottled/Kegged:Spicy Light Rye, Rice-adjunct Pale Ale, Mild Bourbon Porter, Roasty Stout, Basic Light Mead, Bourbon County Stout Clone
Up Next: Berlinerweiss, Chocolate Raspberry Ale, and American IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
AKchill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AKchill's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Anchorage, AK
Posts: 126

Well, this dog has to be a retriever. I'm determined enough that if I can't find a "medium" sized dog, I'll just get a Lab. It would be tough, but I think I can take care of a dog of that size.
__________________
"I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night."

-Greek Proverb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
marley
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Nashville, TN / Venice, FL
Posts: 68

Springers are good dogs.
__________________
Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters. -Norman Maclean

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
spitfire
 
spitfire's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Bloomsburg, PA
Posts: 222
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I have a Lab/Beagle and he is on the smaller end of mid size spectrum(to me anyways). Maybe that would be a good fit for you.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
dagamore
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
K-Town Germany
Posts: 164
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I dont know if a ridgeback will retrive for ya, but i know they are great family dogs, one of the best out there. I wish i had the land to support one, i so miss my dog, but my Dad loves him so its all good, i think both of them are better off at his place. so its all good.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump