Flip-Top Bottle question - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Flip-Top Bottle question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 02:24 AM   #1
brehm21
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
West Liberty, OH
Posts: 50


Okay, so I got some nice "cobalt" blue flip-top bottles and put them to use.
Some of them didn't carbonate.
Is there a certain way to cap them properly? I just flipped them shut and set them back to age, but so far I've had 3 out of the 10 turn out flat. Not spoiled...they taste great....just flat.
The o-rings, caps, and bottles were new.
The 7 out of 10 I've opened were carbonated nicely. 2 still left unopened.
None of the other standard bottles from this batch have been flat.
I racked these in the middle of the batch, since I stired up some yeast when I started racking, and I knew I'd stir some up at the end.....is there a way to get them too "clear" and not have enough yeast to carbonate?

Any ideas?
__________________
"A little drunk is better than dead."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,597
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts


About the only real trick is to make certain the cap is dead-center before you flip the clip down. In theory, the curve of the underside of the cap will give a good seal regardless of the alignment, but... If certain bottles are consistantly flat, I'd replace the rings. No telling how old the "new" bottles are. Some people use keg lube on the rings.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brehm21
s there a way to get them too "clear" and not have enough yeast to carbonate?
that would be very difficult without EXCESSIVE aging of the beer. even crystal clear, spent-2-months-in-the-secondary beer will have millions and millions of yeasties floating around in it and will carbonate in the bottle. They might take a little longer to get the job done, but they will definately be able to condition your brew.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,916
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts


As a side note, I saw some bottles just like that in one of the HBSs, really nice looking cobalt flip-tops. What I wasn't sure about, though, was if the blue glass will do as good a job blocking out light as the brown bottles do. I'm not sure if the blue glass won't block out certain wavelengths that might prove damaging to the beer. Probably a non-issue since I store all the beer out of the light, but I would hate to buy a couple cases of bottles and have them damage the goods.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Lou
Recipes 
 
Jan 2006
Chicago, IL
Posts: 620
Liked 16 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brehm21
Okay, so I got some nice "cobalt" blue flip-top bottles and put them to use.
Some of them didn't carbonate.
Is there a certain way to cap them properly? I just flipped them shut and set them back to age, but so far I've had 3 out of the 10 turn out flat. Not spoiled...they taste great....just flat.
The o-rings, caps, and bottles were new.
The 7 out of 10 I've opened were carbonated nicely. 2 still left unopened.
None of the other standard bottles from this batch have been flat.
I racked these in the middle of the batch, since I stired up some yeast when I started racking, and I knew I'd stir some up at the end.....is there a way to get them too "clear" and not have enough yeast to carbonate?

Any ideas?
how long has it been since you bottled?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
As a side note, I saw some bottles just like that in one of the HBSs, really nice looking cobalt flip-tops. What I wasn't sure about, though, was if the blue glass will do as good a job blocking out light as the brown bottles do. I'm not sure if the blue glass won't block out certain wavelengths that might prove damaging to the beer. Probably a non-issue since I store all the beer out of the light, but I would hate to buy a couple cases of bottles and have them damage the goods.
the blue does not block the light like the brown/amber bottles. You can lump the blue ones right in with the green and clear bottles.

-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,916
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts


That's what I was afraid of, and why I didn'y buy any. Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #8
mysterio
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 696
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I use green Grolsch bottles and I've never had any light problems.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


well.... ANY color of bottle will work if you keep it out of the UV light.

I'm just saying that if you do expose the bottles to UV, the brown will protect the beer better than green/blue will.

-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:08 AM   #10
brehm21
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
West Liberty, OH
Posts: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
how long has it been since you bottled?

It's sneaking up on two months since these were bottled.

I'm thinking they just didn't seal some how and most of my CO2 leaked out. There's sediment in each one, and they don't taste any sweeter than the carbonated bottles.

Perhaps I should polish off the last two sooner than later to avoid any excess leak time.
__________________
"A little drunk is better than dead."

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
flip top bottle style? rival178 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 10-25-2009 01:53 AM
flip top bottle conversions Boar Beer Bottling/Kegging 3 10-27-2008 05:34 PM
32oz flip top bottle bomb! southern brewer Extract Brewing 12 10-22-2007 01:56 PM
Used flip-top bottle prices. JoeRags Bottling/Kegging 14 04-17-2007 02:51 AM
flip tops for any bottle? grrtt78 Bottling/Kegging 4 12-22-2006 09:03 PM


Forum Jump