Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry-hopping with whole hops...

Old 07-07-2006, 02:44 AM   #11
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Maybe it depends on the type of hops? I know my fuggles didn't all stay on top, alot were down on the bottom too.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:57 AM   #12
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob
Are pellets not good for dry hopping... seems far to easy... your not a "real" brewer unless you make things terribly difficult for yourself
i used to use pellets exclusively. But after some experimenting, i found that whole hops do have a better aroma (or at least a more potent one). I wouldnt say they are terribly difficult, just more of a pain in my ass, But worth it.

ps you're not a real brewer if you say things like, "you're not a real brewer..."

Up next: Configuration 9

Old 07-07-2006, 03:12 AM   #13
Boston

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Borg
I refuse to believe that the40-50 percent of hops that is not touching the beer contribute anything to the aroma, so i want mine to sink!
I agree. I use a large hop bag (sanitized) and stuff it into the neck of the carboy, then fold the top of the bag over the outside of carboy neck. I use a plastic milk jug, cut in half, sanitized in iodopher, as a funnel. I drop the whole leaf hops into the funnel and push them home with a sanitized chopstick. Next I add about a dozen or so sanitized glass marbles (from arts & craft store) for ballast. Lastly, I tie the drawstring in a slip knot and drop it in. With a little finesse I can get the bag open after transfer and blast the hops out of the carboy with the garden hose.
Jeff

Old 07-07-2006, 03:29 PM   #14
Daneaux
Recipes 

Pellets would no doubt make this easier. I think some just prefer the whole hops over pellets. Not sure why I choose the more difficult whole hops just like them rather than the pellets which remind me of hamster pellets.

Old 07-08-2006, 03:44 PM   #15
Rookie
Recipes 

You could use a bucket for scondary on any beers that you want to dry hop with whole hops. It would be a snap to remove the hop bags.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:27 PM   #16
Daneaux
Recipes 

I am so used to glass. I sorda feel that its better for the quality and taste of the beer to atleast use glass for secondary. I agree, a bucket would be easier yet so would using pellets.