Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apfelwein as a wine

Old 03-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
xxdcmast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

The best way I can describe the taste is similar to magners hard cider but without the weird battery acid aftertaste.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #12
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have done this still as well, and it is quite good, but have found that it is better still after 8-12months in the back of the closet. Just cracked out a couple bottles of still I had stashed and they were amazing.

I am actually thinking of doing my next batch with closer to 5lbs of sugar than 2 to get it more in the 12% range and bottle in wine bottles to let age for a few months. I did this once with a gallon batch and it turned out really good when I used brown sugar instead of dextrose.

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #13
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

The original Frankfurter "Viez" or Aeppelwoin, as they pronounce it, is still and very tart as previously described.
It's so tart that after a business trip to Frankfurt and one night drinking the stuff in a local hostelry, my stomach ulcers were back after not having had them for about 5 years previously, I blamed it on the Viez.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I like mine still and chilled, but carbed is great too.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #15
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just bottled my first 5 gallons yesterday. I felt like the guys on beerfest when they made the perfect beer!

Thanks Ed!

Mine was two months old and had been clear for a month. I didn't really find it to be all that dry or tart, (but it was too) it reminds me of a cross between a German white wine (I bet they use something like montrachet), a really good cider, and champagne. I actually liked it at room temp still, it had much more apple taste that way. When cold it was more like a champagne. It is funny how strong it is, I had 5 6oz portions and I was a little too buzzed, it is just so light and refreshing, seems like 3% stuff but feels more like 10%.