Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Danger of Hops to Dogs

Old 11-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #91
LouisvilleBrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I know this is old, but I really can't find a definitive answer as to whether the possibility of hop toxicity transfers to the actual beer, or applies only to the physical hops. However, most of what I've read seems to say that hop bitterness in beer itself is not a real concern. My dog definitely likes to clean up the spilled beer, and I would like to know if anyone has actual information (not anecdotal stories about your dog liking beer) stating that the acid from the hops is not toxic in the beer itself.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:31 AM   #92
Crito
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just letting youy know.

For the pass two years my dog was heartworm positive.

this pass year, my dog had tasted my home brew ywice with heavy hops. about 3 oz worth

Now he is heartworm free.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #93
nvr2low
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crito View Post
Just letting youy know.

For the pass two years my dog was heartworm positive.

this pass year, my dog had tasted my home brew ywice with heavy hops. about 3 oz worth

Now he is heartworm free.
so your beer is a cure for heart worm?

Old 03-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #94
Crito
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There has been people trying Guinness Draught Black as a dewormer for their pets due to its hops.

My pet had a lapse in its heartguard. Got a small amount of heartworms. My pet has been using heartguard for the last two years. The heartworms could of died off naturally (heartguard does not kill the adults). I read the worms will live as long as 5-7 years. Or maybe some sort of other factor.

Btw: my dog will remain on heartguard.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #95
ChrisJPassarelli
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hi all,

Just adding my data here -- I just got back from the animal hospital, where my pooch is battling hops toxicity. I gave him the dregs from my kettle after disregarding all this, and his temperature and heart rate have indeed spiked. Prognosis is "guarded," etc. etc.

He's a Labrador, which is the breed besides Greyhounds mentioned in the paper... I hope it's not more widespread than that! He probably got about 0.5 - 1.0oz of spent hops, and symptoms showed up maybe a half hour later.

I don't wanna freak out folks, but I also don't want them to dismiss it; this sucks.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #96
DoubleAught
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJPassarelli View Post
Hi all,

Just adding my data here -- I just got back from the animal hospital, where my pooch is battling hops toxicity. I gave him the dregs from my kettle after disregarding all this, and his temperature and heart rate have indeed spiked. Prognosis is "guarded," etc. etc.

He's a Labrador, which is the breed besides Greyhounds mentioned in the paper... I hope it's not more widespread than that! He probably got about 0.5 - 1.0oz of spent hops, and symptoms showed up maybe a half hour later.

I don't wanna freak out folks, but I also don't want them to dismiss it; this sucks.
That's too bad man, my thoughts are with you. I love my dogs as much as I love the other members of my family and couldn't imagine your pain. Hopefully all turns out well for you.
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #97
ChrisJPassarelli
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserBierMann View Post
That's too bad man, my thoughts are with you. I love my dogs as much as I love the other members of my family and couldn't imagine your pain. Hopefully all turns out well for you.
Thanks for the good wishes, man.
We just got a call and it sounds like his temperature has returned to normal! I'm totally over the moon. During it, he spiked from 99 to 105 in about an hour... I'm glad he didn't get into a spent dry-hop bag or something!

Phew. I'm glad this looks like it can be a cautionary tale but not necessarily a depressing one.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:43 AM   #98
Slyko
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Just a quick story of my experience.

I simply washed the kettle in the backyard, hosed down the pellet hops into the grass. I figured it was no biggie since it was spent & diluted with huge amounts of water.

The dog smelled it out, lapped it up, & almost died.

A quick trip to the vet saved him. The vet said even the residue is lethal to dogs.

Don't even take a chance.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #99
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Thought I would share as well.

This happened last year sometime. My friend's dog (mixed breed of some sort - he looks like a big terrier) got a hold of a bag of hop pellets when we were brewing. It is tough to determine how much he actually ingested, but we were pretty sure it was less than 1/8 of an oz.

Symptoms were similar to what others mentioned. The dog started panting and getting really warm within about 30 mins. By the time he got to the vet, his temp was 108+ and was having seizures during his stay. Luckily, the dog survived and was better in a few days.

Serious stuff tho. Definitely not worth the risk leaving hops laying around when you're brewing.

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 04-07-2012, 04:15 AM   #100
wolfstar
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 106

My wife is a vet tech, I work in rescue and am a dog trainer...

dogs eat some strange sh*t...dogs do strange sh*t

We have an arctic wolf hybrid that is by all indications, addicted to Colorado River Desert Toads.

We have seen (ours and clients) dogs eat everything from soap, towels, socks, rocks, dirt, crap, coffe grounds, desert dried carrion, wallets, eyeglasses...the list goes on....

Best not to take chances...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden...82770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.