Extra ingredients in rolled corn? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Extra ingredients in rolled corn?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 03-14-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
caspio
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Chico, CA
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've been wanting to make BM's cream ale, a mexican lager, and a CAP. My LHBS didn't carry flaked/rolled corn, so I picked up a bag and the local feed store. The question is: Other than the corn itself, there's two other ingredients listed. I'm not really sure what they are, if they're something I want in my beer, etc. The two extras are Propionic Acid (as a preservative) and Ammonium Hydroxide. my google-fu is failing me, so hopefully HBT can come to the rescue. Is this something normal, or are either of these ingredients something I don't want in my beer?

Old 03-14-2009, 01:23 AM   #2
ExpertBrewers
Recipes 

Jul 2008

I doubt Ammonium Hydroxide is the greatest ingredient to have going into your beer. Feed grade fermentables are generally used in other applications, its not like your gonna run your beer through a still to clean it up, lol.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
k1v1116
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

propionic acid smells like cheese, ammonium hydroxide according to wikipedia is just a mixture of ammonia and water.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:54 AM   #4
mkling
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

If I were you and couldn't get flaked maize from the homebrew store, I'd use grits from the grocery store, instead. Just cook them up in some boiling water for 15-20 minutes then add them to the mash.
Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 03-14-2009, 03:00 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7368 Times on 5208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkling View Post
If I were you and couldn't get flaked maize from the homebrew store, I'd use grits from the grocery store, instead. Just cook them up in some boiling water for 15-20 minutes then add them to the mash.
Yeah, me too. Feed corn isn't what the recipe author had in mind- it would have to be processed somehow to make the corn useful to the brew. I"m not sure what it would be, but if you've ever seen flaked corn, well, it's flaked. Like the cereal Corn Flakes, sort of. I wouldn't use kernel corn, but grits would work, or even the cereal I guess. Or, you could order flaked corn from an online store.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 117 Times on 104 Posts

I wouldn't want to put animal feed-grade anything in my beer, especially if it has additional, sketchy-sounding ingredients. I'll second mkling's suggestion to use corn grits from the grocery store instead.