Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What's the quickest you've gone from grain to glass?

Old 03-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Bopper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Default What's the quickest you've gone from grain to glass?

Just curious what the quickest you've gone from grain to glass with a low ABV session beer and had good results. It seems to me that the minimum is probably about 10 days which would work for a mild or something like BM's centennial blond (albeit, they will still be pretty green)

Anyone ever shoot for less than 10 days?

I made a mild last Sunday (3/8) and know that I'm going to float my blond ale tonight (I always have two beers on tap - one session and one higher abv or stout) and the mild is the next session beer that will be ready (home renovations got in the way of my brewing schedule - CURSES!). At this point, the krausen has fallen completely and has been for 3 days so I'm thinking of putting it on gas this Saturday (tomorrow). I know it will be green but I might hook it up anyways and have a pint or two. I'll save most of it for drinking after the 3 week mark.

So, what's the quickest you've ever gone from grain to glass with good results?

Old 03-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've done 10 days on a mild before, but I try to stick with 14 days now.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Big10Seaner
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

For me, it's not really worth rushing it and the quickest I've probably gone is about a month. It just gets better after 4-6 weeks of waiting so I figure why rush.
On tap: Some Sort of IPA, Cherry Cider
Bottled: Belgian Sour (1st place winner Binny's Chicago Comp)

Old 03-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big10Seaner View Post
For me, it's not really worth rushing it and the quickest I've probably gone is about a month. It just gets better after 4-6 weeks of waiting so I figure why rush.
While I agree with you, it's really style and recipe dependent. Milds and other low ABV session beers should be served at the peak of freshness, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with packaging at 14 days.

30 days is a standard time in the fermenter for me, but a mild is very much an exception to my rule.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big10Seaner View Post
I totally agree. I usually have a good size pipeline going so this is never a problem. In fact, my beer typically is in primary for 1 month and then conditioning for another month or more depending on style. I never secondary unless I'm dryhopping, adding oak, fruit or other adjuncts.

However, the pipeline is in pretty bad shape because I've spent every weekend lately renovating my bathroom.

I know that drinking at 10 days (or less) is really pushing it (and usually just a "waste" of good HB).
More than likely, I'll hook it up and draw one pint (maybe 2 if its tolerable). I'll then save the rest to begin drinking in a few weeks. This thread is more our of curiosity than anything...

Old 03-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 611 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
While I agree with you, it's really style dependent. Milds and other low ABV session beers should be served at the peak of freshness, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with packaging at 14 days.
+1 on the style dependant thing. I brew exclusively bitter at the moment (Supposed to be drank young). I'm finding it a bit hard to break away from "The rules" that say at the very least 1-2-3. I'm getting there, and have had excellent pints that have had less than three weeks in the fermenter and just one week in the bottle....One week in the bottle isn't ideal, but for the low carbed style it is still very good.

So, 4 weeks for me, and working on getting that down a bit.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

I keg and have have a blonde ale that went from brew pot to keg in 13 days. I forced carbed a 2 liter bottle and drank it that night. I was drinking off the keg a couple of days later and it is GOOD stuff. That keg is almost gone and I am about to brew an 8 gallon batch of it again.

That is a PM smash recipe. I don't think it would work if there were more flavor components.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:45 AM   #8
zac
Thread Killer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 150 Posts

My stuff spends a month in the primary, period. Then a month in the bottle. Period.

But I have gone from grain to glass in as little as 16 days for a small amber beer. It was ok.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
MSUConrad
Recipes 

The only beer I drink green is my Hefe, and I like it best in the 12 -18 day range.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I'll be the different one here.
Not always, but sometimes I like a young IPA( 14-18 days).
They are great at 2 months, but they are also great( just different) at 20 days