Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fisher Scientific Home Brewing Supplies

Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
BTC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fisher Scientific Home Brewing Supplies

Ok so I have always wanted to get into home brewing.

Right now I work in a research lab that gets a huge discount from Fisher Scientific. I was wondering if anyone here has attempted to build a home brewing starter kit from scratch on their own. Ideally, someone here has ordered from Fisher and has the items numbers handy.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
culaslucas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What kind of supplies are you looking at? Like their huge carboys/labware/thermometers? I know that Evan! was looking for one of their thermometers - not sure if he got his hands on it though...

Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Figbash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fisher supplies little that would be useful in home brewing and what they do supply would be much more expensive than what you would pay at a home brew supply or at your local hardware.

About all you need to start is a stainless stock pot for the boil, a 6 gallon plastic bucket and lid for the fermentor a 5 gallon bucket for bottling and a few miscellaneous items such as tubing to siphon, a bottle capper, a fermentation trap, a strainer and maybe a thermometer. Many of these things (5 gal bucket, tubing, stock pot, etc.) can be had locally. Brewing can be as basic or as complicated as you make it.

Tom

Old 03-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If you get into yeast culturing you could buy your lab glassware, stirplaters, stirbars, etc.

I just picked up a used Fisher stirplate for $16 shipped off eBay. Woo-hoo!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
irunxcjm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with what everyone is saying. Fisher is great for labware, but for homebrewing, there isn't much you can't get elsewhere.