Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sam Adams Longshot Brewing Contest

Old 03-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Hops-a-Lot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sam Adams Longshot Brewing Contest

Has anyone else seen the latest Sam Adams television campaign? They are actually promoting homebrewing on the mass media. I love it! I guess they have some contest (the Longshot Homebrew contest) they are actually marketing the winners this year. I can't wait to get ahold of them to give them a try. I just thought it was totally cool to see someone have a boilover on national television. Do they have this contest every year? I am sure this is something you all know about already, but being a noob I am still excited by even the smallest discovery.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Joos
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's every year.And +1 on the boil over.She ran away!! hilarious.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Forbein11
Recipes 

They did one last year. Winner's beer was sold at Gillette Stadium during the Pats season.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Sweet I am definitely going to enter this one, just need to get a couple brews finished up. I don't like that it is one entry per category, I figured one entry per sub-category would be better. (Means I can't enter my Robin Goblin ale and my Mild Life)

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

They've been doing this for at least a few years now. Was 2006 the first one?

Anyhow, thousands of people enter. It is pretty nuts.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

wow. i'm goin for it
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 03-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Sweet I am definitely going to enter this one, just need to get a couple brews finished up. I don't like that it is one entry per category, I figured one entry per sub-category would be better. (Means I can't enter my Robin Goblin ale and my Mild Life)
Do you realize how many entries they get limiting it to one per category?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

They still judge by sub-category, plus you have to take shipping into account (they want 4 bottles) so I don't think people would flood them with hundreds of bottles each.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
Berlbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sam Adams is great.

I live a couple blocks from the brewery and I can attest- they are awesome. Every couple of weeks or so me and friend will head over there on a Sunday afternoon in time for one of their complimentary tours and its always such a good time. They teach people the basic ingredients and process, and they take you right through the area you always see in the commercial with the heavily-bearded brewmaster fellow.

And of course, you get the equivalent of about 2 free beers while you're there, one of which is a small-batch experimental brew. I think last time I went it was a Lemongrass Wheat.

I've also had some friends work for Boston Beer Co. and they have nothing but great things to say, especially about Jim Koch (the founder/guy whose idea it was to promote home brewing). All in all, a top-notch operation.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Love Sam Adams and love everything they do in the brewing community. Not sure if this is the video you are actually talking about... but I found this on YouTube and is one of my favorite commericals. The girl running from the boilover is priceless!