Happiness is: Home malting - Page 33 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Happiness is: Home malting

Old 10-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #321
Vann
Recipes 

Jul 2011
, Macedonia
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibe View Post
During my soak/air rest phases I didn't really stir it around to much. Had a bucket with holes drilled inside a bottling bucket that I would fill for two hours then leave drained for 8-10 hrs. Wondering if the grains at the bottom maybe suffocated without being stirred enough.
Mate, if it helps in any way, I was doing pattern of 8 hours soaking in water followed by 8 hours of rest, and repeated this two times. Never during that time I was doing any stirring.
Almost all of the seeds germinated, and they were all at least 12months old seeds.

Even if I don't really have much experience about malting barley, I would theorize that if there was anything to blame in your case... it would be the quality of the seeds themselves.
Maybe finding another source of barley would be the best thing to do in your case. I got mine directly from a farmer, straight after the harvest so no pesticides for storing (and the guy said they do spray them before storage).

Old 10-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #322
Zibe
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Sandusky, Ohio
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Yeah I just bought it from an animal feed store and they had to order it from somewhere else so no idea on the quality, age, etc. I'll try the eight hour series next time see if that helps. Also need to build a bigger dehydrator as fans/oven/sun didn't really dry it quick enough and the first batch went rotten. Need one of those for drying hops anyway. Appreciate the feedback I'll post back with results at some point

Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #323
mysobry
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Ivrea, Italy
Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts

Subscribed..incredible post..lot of info for my DIY drum malting automated equipment and barley growth project here in Italy
Just few pics..building details post will follow

David

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app
Click image for larger version

Name:	1390775840423.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	175028   Click image for larger version

Name:	1390775880731.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	175029   Click image for larger version

Name:	1390775904229.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	175030   Click image for larger version

Name:	1390775925003.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	175031   Click image for larger version

Name:	1390775969588.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	175032  

People Like This 
Old 10-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #324
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado
Liked 67 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysobry View Post
Subscribed..incredible post..lot of info for my DIY drum malting automated equipment and barley growth project here in Italy
Just few pics..building details post will follow

David

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app
This looks great! How's it coming along?

Old 10-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #325
mysobry
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Ivrea, Italy
Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts

The project unlucky has been stopped for personal issue
Hope In the future I come come back an complete the development

bye
Davide

Old 09-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #326
CtrlMaltDel
Recipes 

Sep 2016
, Washington
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Today I dug four holes in my yard, mixed the dirt from them, and took a soil sample from it. The sample was dropped off at a lab for analysis, and those results will help me amend the soil and prepare it for barley.

I've been inspired by this thread, and have embarked on my own barley growing/malting adventure. I've ordered a two-row winter malting barley from the University of Idaho, I'll plant 200 square feet of it in the yard, and I'll take a few cracks at malting the left overs. Next year I'll harvest the garden and hopefully have malting working well by then.

By the end of the week I plan to have the barley in the ground, and I'll start my first try at malting some of the left over barley. Wish me luck!

(Sorry if this is necromancy, I didn't find any more recent threads this extensive and informative.)

passedpawn Likes This 
Old 09-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #327
Sadu
Recipes 

Apr 2016
Liked 111 Times on 98 Posts

A friend of mine is from Uganda. We brewed a porter together a few weeks ago and got talking about homebrew in his country. It starts with growing and harvesting millet. Then burying the grains with some water to germinate them. Then toasting them on a barbecue to complete the malting. He said the women managed the malting process, not the men. All sounded very interesting.

As much as I love all grain brewing there is a lot of work that happens to get the grain malted. So kudos to you wanting to do some proper "from scratch" brewing.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #328
CtrlMaltDel
Recipes 

Sep 2016
, Washington
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

"Keep malting" seems to be the motto for this thread, and that struck me as commendably encouraging in the face of all the forums and blog posts which point out how hard home-malting is. That kind of determination and optimism in the face of challenges really stayed with me as I was reading this thread.

I feel like I've gained a lot of information to prepare me to grow, malt, and brew barley. I've been over countless threads, I've read scientific journal articles, I've consulted with professors, and I've found friends who can help me. I bet my first batch still turns out crummy, but I'm determined to get this right eventually.

I have a bar in my house, and a big yard, and live in an excellent area for agriculture (South-east Washington state). I've always wanted to be able to serve guests a fully home-made beverage, and this is how I'm tackling that goal. I'm excited to share my progress and get any help I can!

Old 09-21-2016, 05:10 PM   #329
CtrlMaltDel
Recipes 

Sep 2016
, Washington
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

More progress today. Here is a picture of my back yard:

You can almost see the outline of the area that I attacked with the sod cutter. Yesterday I went out with the shovel to finish the job and pull up the cut sod:

When it was all done it looked like this:

That is 200 square feet of dirt, which will need about 1/3 pound of barley to seed. If my yeild comes out good, I should be able to get 20-35 pounds of barleycorn out next summer.

I'm now waiting for the lab results to get back. Once I have those I can add any ammendments to the soil, till it up to mix it, and bury the seeds. I should have the results in today, and the barely by the end of the week. I'll post when there's news.

mcl Likes This 
Old 09-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #330
Don_Coyote
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Great Lakes
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Do you know if your neighbors treat their lawns with any sort of pesticide/herbicide that could affect your barley? Looks like you might want a small buffer of space or another plant back there...