Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Restoring brass tower

Old 03-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
tek210
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Restoring brass tower

Was in my LHBS the other day getting prices for a dual tower setup. He was showing me around the shop and showed me some of the random stuff he has picked up over time. One of the pieces was a brass (I think) triple tower setup, it was in rough shape tarnish wise and at first I was thinking ehhh I still want new. But now I am thinking I would like to restore this unit, will give the setup some character and will save some money.

What is the best way to restore something like this. I have some woodworking tools, but I also have a Porter Cable random orbital polisher I use in detailing. I thought I might be able to do something with that to restore it back. Any thoughts on bringing out the beauty in this old piece?

Old 03-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Bar Keeper's Friend... At least that is what I have heard mentioned in the past for brass....

Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 03-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Boondoggie
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

get a gallon of cheap vinegar, and submerge it in that. Add water to dilute it enought to completely cover it. leave it overnight/weekend.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got a brass Tower, looked like $#!t when I got it in the mail.

Some elbow grease and brass cleaner/polisher and bingo! It's fantastic looking. I used "Brasso", it cleans, removes oxidation and when polished with a clean rag it creates a seal preventing future oxidation. Well that's what the bottle says.... I've had good results now for 2 months and can't complain.
I say get it and see how you can bring it back to life. Nothing like brass in my opinion.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
tek210
Recipes 

yeah I think I am going to give it a shot on the cleanup. Now I have to decide if I stick with my original plan of converting an Oster 5.0, plugging up one of the tap holes. Or do I go the keezer route maybe building a topper to mount the tower.