Beer snob ignorance > BMC Drinker Ignorance - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Beer snob ignorance > BMC Drinker Ignorance

Old 03-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
JoeMama

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I was posting in a thread on another forum regarding craft brews. Of course all of the beer snobs came out of the woodwork and start listing (and bashing) their favorite micro/craft brews. So, me being the dumbass that I am decide to make mention to brewing your own beer (and having the ability to clone just about any one of their craft brews).

This is the response that I got from one of their more outspoken 'regulars'

"I simply do not believe some amateur with $100 in equipment can surpass, let alone adequately reproduce, an award winning professional brewery.

Every home brewer in the world thinks this, and every mother thinks their child is smart and cute."

I think that ignorant beer snobs just surpassed the idiot BMC drinkers...
-Me

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Oakland, CA
Liked 269 Times on 134 Posts

Wow...just...wow. That's like saying your mom can't make as good of cookies from scratch as they make in the factories. And that's what you should tell him.

That poor guy doesn't know what he's missing. Some of my beers have far surpassed 99% of the commercial beers and I have hundred of people to vouch for that.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
Wow...just...wow. That's like saying your mom can't make as good of cookies from scratch as they make in the factories. And that's what you should tell him.

That poor guy doesn't know what he's missing. Some of my beers have far surpassed 99% of the commercial beers and I have hundred of people to vouch for that.
I'll vouch for that. If I had to choose between Bud Light Chelada and DB's brew, I'd probably choose the latter.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Brooklyn
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

that is just bad.

i have done tastings with people before, a mix of mine and commercial brews, and mine are always in the top of the lists.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun
Liked 329 Times on 325 Posts

So what is this other forum. I think we should all sign up and let him know that either we have a lot more than $100 in equipment or that you can make better quality or on par beer than a lot of craft brewers with a $100 in equipment.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
TwoHeadsBrewing

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Chico, CA
Liked 39 Times on 36 Posts

Two big questions for this guy:

1. Have you ever brewed your own beer?
2. Have you ever tasted a homebrewed beer from an experienced homebrewer?

The first one is the biggie. I have just under one year of brewing experience and I've made beers on cheap equipment that rival that of many professional microbreweries, not to mention BMC offerings. The only way he is right is when you talk about repeatability and production levels. Obviously you can't have the sort of consistency that a large brewery has. But as far as taste goes, even the noob homebrewer cranks out a fantastic beer once in a while!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 03-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
KingBrianI

Recipes 

May 2008
Durham, NC
Liked 110 Times on 70 Posts

You might also explain to him homebrewers aren't subject to time limits like commercial brewers are. We don't have to worry about the price of the batch. We don't pastuerize or filter our beer. In other words, commercial breweries are constrained by a number of factors that homebrewers aren't, which attributes to why we, as homebrewers, can make better beer than many of the breweries with their expensive equipment.

I'm not saying that some homebrewers don't have slightly inflated opinions of their own beer though!

Old 03-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Oakland, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
I'll vouch for that. If I had to choose between Bud Light Chelada and DB's brew, I'd probably choose the latter.
I'm talking about people that have TRIED my beer, mr. smarty pants. Keep that up and you won't get any

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Oakland, CA

You should direct him to my easy partial mash brewing thread and tell him to make the dunkelweizen.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
FireBrewer

Recipes 

May 2007
Fallston, MD
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
I was posting in a thread on another forum regarding craft brews. Of course all of the beer snobs came out of the woodwork and start listing (and bashing) their favorite micro/craft brews.
Fark?

Quote:
"I simply do not believe some amateur with $100 in equipment can surpass, let alone adequately reproduce, an award winning professional brewery.
*ahem* Jamil Zainasheff? Mike McDole? Let alone the countless homebrewer-turned-pros that continue to push craft beer up and beyond? Most craft brewers with even a shred of humility will tell you homebrewers are largely responsible for growth and success in the craft beer market.

Everyone's made a bad batch and everyone starts somewhere. We don't make award-winning beer right out of the gate. But homebrewers get 40+ on sheets time and time again.

F--- that guy. In the immortal words of Goat (Adam Sandler), "his life's a blurr, f@#k 'im."