Graham's English Cider - Page 25 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider Recipes > Graham's English Cider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #241
Vox
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Posts: 367
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts


Good Afternoon. Is it written correctly that this takes a month to carbonate after bottling with 4 oz's of dextrose? Any other batches I've carbonated have taken 5 to 7 days. Made 8/31 and moved to primary 10/01 so I think it's ready to bottle.
__________________
In The Primary: Dude Where's My Pants Ceyser and Blood of the Dragon (my version of Unicorn Blood)

Bottle Conditioning: Skeeter Pee

Aging: Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #242
jmg727
 
jmg727's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Chicago, IL
Posts: 116
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
Good Afternoon. Is it written correctly that this takes a month to carbonate after bottling with 4 oz's of dextrose? Any other batches I've carbonated have taken 5 to 7 days. Made 8/31 and moved to primary 10/01 so I think it's ready to bottle.
I bottled a few larger bottles of this and several smaller bottles. The larger the bottle, the quicker they seem to be carbing up. The largest one (1.5 liters) was fully carbonated at about 3 weeks. The smallest ones (12 ounces) are still not there at 4-5 weeks.
__________________
You can't always get what you want, but when you find what you need, buy two of them ...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #243
Vox
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Posts: 367
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg727 View Post

I bottled a few larger bottles of this and several smaller bottles. The larger the bottle, the quicker they seem to be carbing up. The largest one (1.5 liters) was fully carbonated at about 3 weeks. The smallest ones (12 ounces) are still not there at 4-5 weeks.
Weird. Any cider I've ever made has taken about 5 days to carb.
__________________
In The Primary: Dude Where's My Pants Ceyser and Blood of the Dragon (my version of Unicorn Blood)

Bottle Conditioning: Skeeter Pee

Aging: Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #244
wolverinebrewer
 
wolverinebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Oxford, MI
Posts: 599
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
If I were to enter this in a competition, what style would it fall under? I am not familiar with the different styles of cider.
I did this with S-04 and entered it as 27 B under English Cider. Remember you must also specify carbonation level and sweetness level
__________________
All I ask is three beers apiece for each of my co-workers...I think a man workin outdoors, feels more like a man if he can have a bottle of suds.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #245
urbanmyth
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Twin Lakes, WI
Posts: 1,001
Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverinebrewer View Post
I did this with S-04 and entered it as 27 B under English Cider. Remember you must also specify carbonation level and sweetness level
Thanks!
__________________
Aurė Entuluva! Day shall come again!

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #246
zymurph
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Dallas, TX
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I just moved 5 gallons of this to secondary, and it tasted pretty damn good. Went from 1.056 to 1.002, and was definitely very dry without any real harshness. I'm really excited to get this secondary over with and back sweeten a bit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #247
mike_in_ak
 
mike_in_ak's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
anchorage, ak
Posts: 546
Liked 85 Times on 52 Posts


Bottled tonight. Has been in carboys for about 3.5 months. Crystal clear. FG just over 1.01. Kept to ball jars for myself to drink still. Tastes good. Looking forward to carbonation.

Edit: I should explain my FG doesn't mean anything as my water is weird.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #248
Vox
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Posts: 367
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zymurph View Post
I just moved 5 gallons of this to secondary, and it tasted pretty damn good. Went from 1.056 to 1.002, and was definitely very dry without any real harshness. I'm really excited to get this secondary over with and back sweeten a bit.
Do you plan on backsweetening with some Apple concentrate?
__________________
In The Primary: Dude Where's My Pants Ceyser and Blood of the Dragon (my version of Unicorn Blood)

Bottle Conditioning: Skeeter Pee

Aging: Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #249
BWN
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Dexter, NY
Posts: 702
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts


I have cider I made with S04 two months ago and was going to keg it. My ciders usually turn out a not tart so I was thinking of adding the tea bags and lime juice in the secondary. Any thoughts on this?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #250
mike_in_ak
 
mike_in_ak's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
anchorage, ak
Posts: 546
Liked 85 Times on 52 Posts


Might just get cider with tea and lime juice.

I think there's something chemical going in here with acid and tannins. I don't know what they do.

Maybe if you add and age?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noob cider help... How long do you generally ferment Cider? unclejimbay Cider Forum 9 01-27-2012 09:20 PM
What is Cider, as opposed to Wine?/Quince Cider critique petes Cider Forum 16 08-31-2011 06:17 PM
Horse & Buggy English Cider 07'er Evan! Cider Forum 5 10-25-2007 11:26 PM
English Cider. Orfy Cider Forum 0 10-07-2007 02:38 PM


Forum Jump