Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Flat or Carb

Old 03-04-2009, 02:54 AM   #1
MikeG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Flat or Carb

While I know it can be done both ways, it seems most carb it. I bottle conditioned some EW Apfelwein but I can't say I'm crazy about the carbination, reminds me too much of champagne instead of wine.

Anyhow, I have 5 gallons of cider in a primary (5+ weeks) that I'm ready to bottle but wondering about carbing it. Is a typical store bought hard cider carb'd? What's people's thoughts on non-carb'd cider. Maybe I could do 50/50 to see what I prefer.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

for an apple wine, I like it still. For cider however, I much more prefer it sparkling, although not like champagne, I use about half the priming sugar you would for beer, makes it just sparkling enough.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
wreckinball9
Recipes 

I love sparkling cider much more than still. I would even use the full 1 0z per gallon of priming sugar. and yes, store bought hard cider is typically carbonated.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
defenestrate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

the juice/cider i have done has been carbed enough for me just from fermentation. not bubbling constantly in the glass but enough that you can feel it on the tongue.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:21 AM   #5
wreckinball9
Recipes 

I like it way better carbed.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
PAC762
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckinball9 View Post
I like it way better carbed.
same here .....

Old 03-05-2009, 04:40 AM   #7
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ditto on carbed

Old 03-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
borracho_brewer
Recipes 

I can't get enough bubbles, personally, and it just so happens most of the friends and family I share with like it like that too.

But plenty of people prefer AW and Cider flat, err, excuse me, still

I think doing half and half is a great idea. You may find you like both. Or, like suggested previously, do a mild carbonation, or maybe even batches of heavily carbed, mildly, and still!

-BB

Old 03-06-2009, 04:40 AM   #9
HomebrewMI
Recipes 

If you're not sure which you prefer yet, do what I'm doing...split the batch 50/50, carb some and leave some still. The 2 gallons I'm leaving still from this batch will be back sweetened.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
jawats
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So, with a high ABV applewine made with champagne yeast, is that actually an apple champagne (avoiding the technical terminology problems with the use of the word)?

"...the yeast knows what it's doing."
I hate it when the yeast is smarter than me.