National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plastic Vs. Glass

Old 03-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
rrockwel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plastic Vs. Glass

While at my local HB shop today I talked to the woman who worked there about getting all the equipment I would need besides a secondary fermenter (I used my friends primary, siphon, etc. for my first brew). I asked her whether there was a difference between using a glass primary or a plastic primary and she said that there wasn't any difference. The only thing that she said would be different is that the plastic one could get scratched (which would ruin it) and the glass could not get scratched.

My question is: What are your views on this? Does it create in difference in the beer? Are there other advantages/disadvantages of going with either?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There are a lot of threads on this, a search will turn them up. There is also a nice pros/cons wiki article that will answer all your questions I think.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 03-04-2009, 01:12 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2842 Times on 1687 Posts
Likes Given: 3502

There's about 10,000 thread on this topic already, where we hashed out our views over and over...at least one thread a week...It's onw of the most discused ad nauseum topics on here...

In fact if you scroll down to the similar threads you will find a few threads right there, as well, as these threads which I got by doing an advanced search thread titles keywords- "Glass Vs Plastic"

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/search.php?searchid=3367745

It's not a VS issue, it's not a contest, they both work...they both make beer, it's a brewer's choice issue...And if you want more info...I've provided you with plenty of links..So you can make your own decision.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew