Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > WhiteLabs Yeast: Any prep needed?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Mencken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default WhiteLabs Yeast: Any prep needed?

Hey, I have a vial of the White Labs yeast for a Sam Adams Summer Ale clone. I'll be making a 5g batch of the stuff. Should I create an activator? A starter? Should I just pitch it? Thanks

Old 03-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

I would make a starter.

Here are some references if you need help:

14 Essential Questions about Yeast Starters

Jamil's Pitching Rate Calculator

Homebrew Wiki on starters

Old 03-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Agreed. Although you can "technically" pitch a vial directly into the primary, it is always good to do a starter. Starters are great to get the yeast cell count up to get a quick fermentation and also ensures that you have a viable tube of yeast. It doesn't happen often where you get a bad batch of yeast, but who knows. At least a starter confirms that the yeast is alive and kickin!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
I would make a starter.
Ditto. I used to pitch directly, but when I started making starters my lag time dropped significantly. I usually use dry yeast but when I use liquid, I make starters.
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Couldn't you do a starter with your dried yeast just like you do with your liquid? Are there any benefits to not doing a starter with dry yeast?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith179 View Post
Couldn't you do a starter with your dried yeast just like you do with your liquid? Are there any benefits to not doing a starter with dry yeast?
Dry yeast already has a very high cell count, so a starter isn't necessary. However, I always rehydrate dry yeast. Some say this isn't necessary (the same people who say starters aren't necessary either) but I've noticed a shorter lag time when rehydrating.
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
A package of dry yeast has c. 200 billion viable cells.

If you're doing a 5 gallon batch of a 1.060 OG ale, you want to pitch 208 billion cells. So for beer under that gravity, making a starter with dry yeast would just make you overpitch if anything. Over 1.060 (or more than 5 gallons) you'd consider a starter even with dry yeast.

A typical White labs vial or Wyeast smack pack has c. 100 billion viable cells, so even with smaller beers you need a starter to reach the right cell counts to pitch.
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
In addition to the reasons above, making a starter less than a gallon does not provide enough space or resources for that many yeast to grow, so for normal sized starters you do not get much yeast growth when using a dry yeast.
Another reason is that it is much easier and nearly as cost effective to just pitch 2 packs of dry yeast as it would be to make a starter.

With a low gravity beer, you can directly pitch the WLP tube in the beer after allowing it to warm to pitching temps. However as noted it is usually a good idea to make a starter with WhiteLabs tubes and Wyeast Activator packs.

Craig

Old 03-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
bgough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would it be ok to just pitch 2 vials of white labs yeast to get to 200 billion cell count instead of doing a starter?

Old 03-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Besides the quicker start....I've found that my est FG is actually reached when I pitch a starter. When I was just pitching the vial of yeast, I always came up short..... If you have time, make a starter. I've gotten into this habit..... Gonna brew this weekend so, Tuesday (today), I go to my LBS and pick up my ingredients, come home, get a starter going.....Beef it up on Thursday with more DME and it's ready by Saturday or Sunday. KISS. Sure you could pitch two vials of yeast...but at 8.50 a pop (what my LBS charges) that's quite a hefty sum. With no special tools......Growler/mason jar, some DME, water and plastic wrap....you can make a starter. Later you can worry about stir-plates and flasks........