Klaiberhaus Sticke Altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP036
Yeast Starter
2L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 64
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
45 @ 64
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
see below
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Klaiberhaus Sticke Altbier
Brewer: HopHed Brewhaus
Asst Brewer:
Style: Specialty Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.65 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 18.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 44.80 %
5.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 32.00 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 12.80 %
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 6.40 %
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 1.60 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.60 %
0.13 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 0.80 %
1.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 61.8 IBU
1 Pkgs Dusseldorf Alt Yeast (White Labs #WLP036) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 15.63 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 4.84 gal of water at 163.8 F 152.0 F

I dryhopped this with Magnum and learned the hard way that it is totally neutral and imparts no aroma. I'd recommend .5-1 oz dryhop for 7-10 days with Hallertauer, Crystal, Saaz or Mt. Hood.

This is a very good beer, but would benefit from dry hopping.

View attachment Sticke Altbier.bsm

Picked up a vial of the Dusseldorf Alt yeast at the LHBS on Saturday on a whim, so I'm researching recipes now. Never brewed an Alt, so not sure what to expect. Fun times!

Picked up a vial of the Dusseldorf Alt yeast at the LHBS on Saturday on a whim, so I'm researching recipes now. Never brewed an Alt, so not sure what to expect. Fun times!

I used it on 3 consecutive alts (this one, a Münster and a Northern German)and I was very pleased with it.

I've got the WLP036 on the stirplate now (after streaking a few slants out of the vial first!) - looking to brew this up on the weekend. Might have to toast a pound or so of MO to approximate Biscuit, otherwise it's on like Donkey Kong.

Hell, might even try decocting for deeper malt character. Haven't decided yet.

:rockin:

I thought about decocting this as well, but decided against it due to time constraints the day that I brewed this.

It has a nice malt character from the single infusion mash that I did with quite a complex palate and a smooth hop bitterness that balances well. I will be sad when this beer is gone.

I'm very interested in this recipe. Did you really leave it in the secondary for 45 days?

I'm very interested in this recipe. Did you really leave it in the secondary for 45 days?

Yes, but it wasn't really by design, nor is it necessary. I just didn't get around to kegging it off as quickly as I wanted to.

Can I ask how you developed this recipe? Its way outside the style guidelines for an altbier (which i like haha). My buddy from Germany says he misses the traditional altbiers and wants me to try and brew one up, but I'm in the dark as to what they even taste like. Should I jump in with this recipe or can you guide me as to where I should start?

I got the idea to brew a Sticke while I was putting together a recipe for a Düsseldorf Alt.

From the Comments section of the BJCP styles guidelines for 7C. Düsseldorf Altbier:

Comments: A bitter beer balanced by a pronounced malt richness. Fermented at cool ale temperature (60-65?F), and lagered at cold temperatures to produce a cleaner, smoother palate than is typical for most ales. Common variants include Sticke (“secret”) alt, which is slightly stronger, darker, richer and more complex than typical alts. Bitterness rises up to 60 IBUs and is usually dry hopped and lagered for a longer time. Münster alt is typically lower in gravity and alcohol, sour, lighter in color (golden), and can contain a significant portion of wheat. Both Sticke alt and Münster alt should be entered in the specialty category.

So yes, this beer is out of style if you're trying to fit it in as a Düsseldorf. Brewed as is, it is a prefectly legitimate Altbier, but would get submitted in category 23 (Specialty beers).

This beer is bigger and a bit more complex in the palate than say a Düsseldorf Alt, and most likely not as common over in Germany. If that's what your friend is looking for then you may want to stick with a Düsseldorf. You may also want to take a look at the Münster Alt and/or Northern German Alt recipes that I just posted. They're all in my dropdown.

I guess I didn't realize how long it's been since I added some recipes that I thought were good enough to share. :D

I'm gonna try brewing a Sticke this weekend.

Please comment/critique the following (the grain bill is just a bumped up simple Alt grain bill):

89% Light Munich
10% CaraMunich
1% Carafa Special II

~16 deg Plato OG
WLP011 European Ale yeast

Bittering hops: Magnum
Flavor/Aroma hops: Hallertau @ FWH/Flamout/Dry

I haven't dry-hopped in forever but i guess it's almost required for this style? And what would be the minimum IBUs for a brew like this?

I'd guess that you'll want to hit at least around 40 IBU.

This beer is wide open to interpretation though, so go with whatever you think will work for you. The only help I found in the BJCP guidelines were that this beer is supposed to be much more complex than a Düsseldorf Alt, so I tried to make it much more complex.

IMO, a Pils base for this beer along with some Munich and/or Vienna really makes it.

Back