Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Aging in corked bottles

Old 06-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #1
magno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Aging in corked bottles

I put most of my mead in 1.5 litre wine bottles (and the rest in regular capped bottles). Should I store the corked bottles on their side and not worry about the minimal amount of sediment that will get resuspended when it is served? Will storing them standing up for about a year cause the corks to dry out?

Thanks

- magno

Old 06-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by magno
I put most of my mead in 1.5 litre wine bottles (and the rest in regular capped bottles). Should I store the corked bottles on their side and not worry about the minimal amount of sediment that will get resuspended when it is served? Will storing them standing up for about a year cause the corks to dry out?

Thanks

- magno
You want to do SOMETHING to keep the corks from getting dry. You can either store the bottles on their sides, or store them upright in a realtively humid climate (wine fridge or cellar).

If you don't have the necessary humid climate to store them upright, my suggestion is to store them on their sides to keep the corks wetted. A few days before opening a bottle, stand the bottle up-right and give it a twist to dislodge the yeast that might be stuck to the side of the bottle.

Then, just allow enough time to pass for the yeast to settle to the bottom of the bottle before opening/serving.

-walker

Old 06-28-2006, 03:35 AM   #3
magno

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
If you don't have the necessary humid climate to store them upright, my suggestion is to store them on their sides to keep the corks wetted. A few days before opening a bottle, stand the bottle up-right and give it a twist to dislodge the yeast that might be stuck to the side of the bottle.
Great advice. Thanks.

- magno

Old 06-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
Keln
Recipes 

About a week after I bottled my mead, (and I swear it was clear when I did) I had laid them on their sides from the start, and when I drew them out for labeling, I noticed each of them had a strip of sediment sticking to the side. Well, I was upset about this, so I stuck the bottles in the refridgerator right side up to get any and all sediment to sink to the bottom with the intention of re-bottling (minus this sediment).

Is this a good idea, or does this sediment matter? I am sure I never saw any sediment go into the bottles when I bottled it, and the liquid itself is still very clear...
#6001 Chardonnay
#6002 JAO Mead
#6003 Traditional Cider

Old 06-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
magno

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The sediment shouldnt hurt anything, other than apearance.

If you aged it long enough in secondary, the yeast should have fermented all the availble sugar, so carbonation/ bottle bombs shouldnt be a issue.

I wouldnt bother rebottling.

- magno