15 gallon mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chips7297

Reaction score
Will I be able to ferment a mixture of 5 gallons of honey and 10 gallons of cider or should I scale the mix back a bit?

Um . . . maybe. How is that for a noncomittal answer?

5 gallons of honey is rougly 60 pounds which would work out to an OG of 1.147 and a potential of about 20% ABV for 15 gallons. This is pretty high! Even using EC-1118 or K1V you are going to end up with a really sweet mead (and a maturation time measured in multiple years!). If this is what you want then go for it. Personally I would scale it back to a starting gravity around 1.1 (around 40 pounds of honey) and use D47 for your yeast as it will probably remain sur lies for a while (who wants to continually rack 15 gallons?). This will leave you 20 pounds for another 6 gallon batch.

Just some advice. Good luck.

Missing

Hey,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. The easiest (and most useful tool) for calculating potential OG's etc. is to go to gotmead.com and under tools there is a mead calculator. Take a look. If you have any problems let me know and I will walk you through it (it can seem kind of hard to use at first). Hope this helps.

Missing

Back