70 amp arc welder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lounge Lizard

Reaction score
Pep Boyz has a 70 amp AC arc welder going for 79 dollars.

Would the thing even be suitable for welding angle iron with, to make a three tier AG setup? There aren't many horses under the hood.

From the ad:

* two heat settings
* welds from 18 gauge up to 1/8" steel
* 115 volt input plug can be used anywhere

Model # 41180

I have had some welding experience, but not much. What do ya'll think?

Borrow a friend's if possible. Check the duty cycle on what they're selling. It's probably really low. You can do angle iron at 70A, but it's not a whole heck of a lot of heat.

You do know how to stick, right?

parasonic said:
Borrow a friend's if possible. Check the duty cycle on what they're selling. It's probably really low. You can do angle iron at 70A, but it's not a whole heck of a lot of heat.

You do know how to stick, right?

Thanks for the advice and tips. Yeah, I can stick weld a little. I received some hands on training while taking an Airframe & Powerplant course a few years back. If I decide to do any welding, I'm sure I'll practice some before attempting the project. Even at the price, I doubt I will buy this particular welder.

Sorry for the delay in responding to you. Lately, I have been too busy to think about homebrew projects. It would be nice to get my three tier rig completed by the time better brewing weather arrives. Maybe I can find some sign posts like Brewpastor used.

Just yesterday the brand new Valetronix guitar amplifier I ordered, went up in smoke! Only about six hours playing time on it and woof! Now I have to get the thing boxed back up and shipped back....

Back