What cooler to use for 10 gallon batches? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What cooler to use for 10 gallon batches?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
RayInUT
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Draper, UT
Posts: 446
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



I'm going to do my first ten gallon batch today (maybe) with a 20.5 lb. grain bill and just realized that my MLT might not be big enough. I just filled it with 10 gallons of water and found that I have little space for grain. It's a 50 quart Ice Cube cooler. I have another 50 quart cooler that I could use to do half the batch but it isn't set up as an MLT. Should I just do half the batch in that and then dump that into my MLT to sparge once the grains in that cooler have sparged? How much room will I need in the Ice Cube for grain? What size do you guys use for ten gallon batches?

Thanks,

Ray

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
double_e5
 
double_e5's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Kansas City
Posts: 900
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


If you mash with 1.25 qt/lb of grain you should be able to fit it in there. You shouldn't be mashing with 10 gallons of water. It would be about 6.5 gallons of water which will leave you room for the grain. And then sparge with the rest of your water to get to your boil volume.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
joety's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Germantown Wisconsin
Posts: 1,427
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by double_e5 View Post
If you mash with 1.25 qt/lb of grain you should be able to fit it in there. You shouldn't be mashing with 10 gallons of water. It would be about 6.5 gallons of water which will leave you room for the grain. And then sparge with the rest of your water to get to your boil volume.
I've been looking at trying a ten gallon batch and had a similar question, although I only have the 10 gallon Igloo setup. How many quarts does 1 pound of grain mixed with 1.25 quarts of water take up?
__________________
Conical 1 - Empty
Conical 2 - Empty
Carboys - None

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: Afterburner Cream Ale, 70/70 IPA, Golden Oat Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Looking for ideas

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
North Central NC
Posts: 521
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RayInUT View Post
I'm going to do my first ten gallon batch today (maybe) with a 20.5 lb. grain bill and just realized that my MLT might not be big enough. I just filled it with 10 gallons of water and found that I have little space for grain. It's a 50 quart Ice Cube cooler. I have another 50 quart cooler that I could use to do half the batch but it isn't set up as an MLT. Should I just do half the batch in that and then dump that into my MLT to sparge once the grains in that cooler have sparged? How much room will I need in the Ice Cube for grain? What size do you guys use for ten gallon batches?

Thanks,

Ray
You should be able to fit 25# of grain using 1.25 quarts of water per pound of graain, it will be FULL though, so with your grain bill of 20.5# y ou should dough in with 25.6 quarts of water, it will hold that just fine, good luck

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
RayInUT
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Draper, UT
Posts: 446
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by double_e5 View Post
If you mash with 1.25 qt/lb of grain you should be able to fit it in there. You shouldn't be mashing with 10 gallons of water. It would be about 6.5 gallons of water which will leave you room for the grain. And then sparge with the rest of your water to get to your boil volume.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm doing a low sacc rest (146) as I want this to be extremely fermentable. It's a Duvel cloneish recipe but I'm using Unibroue La Fin du Monde yeast I cultured and I want to get a 90%+ attenuation so I was thinking I needed to have a thinner mash but it probably doesn't matter if I am batch sparging. I guess if I am low on my OG I can just add some more dextrose which will ferment about 100% anyway. I'm already using four pounds of dextrose in the boil with 20.5 lbs. of DWC pilsner malt. I've been reading "Brew Like a Monk" and I think I'm going to nail this sucker! I need to finish below 1.008ish.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
RayInUT
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Draper, UT
Posts: 446
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Oh man, I overshot my gravity. I came out at 1.073 for my og. 17.8 brix! I have a two quart starter of Unibroue La Fin du Monde cultured yeast. Will this be enough? I guess I could add water to bring down the gravity a little. Why would I want to do that though? Ideas?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
joety's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Germantown Wisconsin
Posts: 1,427
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts


If you have a stir plate that should be plenty for a 1073. I had about 1.25 quarts in my starter for a 1081 brew that induced a blowoff less than 24 hours later.
__________________
Conical 1 - Empty
Conical 2 - Empty
Carboys - None

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: Afterburner Cream Ale, 70/70 IPA, Golden Oat Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Looking for ideas

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
RayInUT
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Draper, UT
Posts: 446
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by joety View Post
If you have a stir plate that should be plenty for a 1073. I had about 1.25 quarts in my starter for a 1081 brew that induced a blowoff less than 24 hours later.
I guess the starter was okay. I had bubbling from both buckets within three hours. Now I have to ramp up the temperature from a starting fermentation temperature of 61* to about 80*. I have a "radiator" style space heater with a digital thermostat that I think I will put in a closet with the fermentors. Duvel does there primary fermentation over a period of five days with +90% attenuation. I'm shooting for the same thing. I am going to be in the market for a bigger cooler. With a 1.25 qt. to pound ratio, I barely had enough room in the cooler for this 10 gallon batch. I need a better burner too. The bayou burner was barely adequate.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kegging 3 gallon batches in 5 gallon kegs? qvantamon Bottling/Kegging 3 02-14-2010 11:31 PM
Minimum burner BTU - 10 gallon batches in 15.5 gallon keggle schneemann Equipment/Sanitation 21 10-27-2009 04:01 PM
5, or 10 gallon rubbermaid circular for 5 gallon batches becksbolero2 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 19 08-26-2009 03:27 AM
10 gallon batches... 8 gallon kettle?! WorryWort All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 13 12-08-2008 12:00 AM
Will a 5 gallon round cooler work for most AG batches AND partial mashes? Tankard All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 05-03-2008 06:12 PM


Forum Jump