Hard Iced Tea - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Hard Iced Tea

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #31
Firstnten
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Aberdeen NJ
Posts: 378
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpq45 View Post
Okay Firstnten, let me see if I'm smellin' what you're steppin' in:

Add teabags to boil kettle, add 6 gallons of water. Bring to boil, let the mix sit for 2 hours. Add 10lbs sugar, bring back to boil, chill and pitch yeast?

I'd love to see that picture if you wouldn't mind. Does it taste bitter due to such a long, hot steep?
No do not boil twice. Also I added yeast nutrient.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #32
HSM
 
HSM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
McMurray, PA
Posts: 460
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


I haven't tried this yet but am going to throw together a gallon test batch today.

As a tea drinker, I can't imagine any benefit to steeping for 2hrs. 5 minutes is usually the max and after that you are only extracting additional tannins.

So my batch will only steep 5 minutes... and loose leaf, there are no tea bags in my house! (tea snob!)
__________________
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis."
www.TheFreeSpeak.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #33
SueMac
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Stoneham, MA
Posts: 97
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HSM View Post
I haven't tried this yet but am going to throw together a gallon test batch today.

As a tea drinker, I can't imagine any benefit to steeping for 2hrs. 5 minutes is usually the max and after that you are only extracting additional tannins.

So my batch will only steep 5 minutes... and loose leaf, there are no tea bags in my house! (tea snob!)
Perhaps loose leaf tea makes a huge difference but if you check back on pages 1 and 2 of this topic, you'll find someone steeped their tea only for a hour and the tea taste was lost... May be the brand or may be not enough tea...Just thought I'd point it out if you haven't already started.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #34
Firstnten
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Aberdeen NJ
Posts: 378
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SueMac View Post
Perhaps loose leaf tea makes a huge difference but if you check back on pages 1 and 2 of this topic, you'll find someone steeped their tea only for a hour and the tea taste was lost... May be the brand or may be not enough tea...Just thought I'd point it out if you haven't already started.
I did some research and it seems that he's right in the Tannic acid increase, but I also read that different teas and the age of the tea are factors as well.

Also I thought this was interesting in regard to antioxidants:

Quote:
Scientists found that volunteers who drank tea that had been brewed for five minutes had blood antioxidant levels which were 60% higher than those who consumed a one-minute infusion.
All i can say is that brewing it for the time I have has worked so far and I have not detected an over powering bitter taste, and once back sweetened and served on ice IMO I couldn't tell it was 13% ABV.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #35
HSM
 
HSM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
McMurray, PA
Posts: 460
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


13%! Wow.

I made a gallon test run using a loose ceylon tea at double strength brewed for 5 minutes. Very dark and smells great.

Sweetened with 1 1/2 lbs of corn sugar and used some moncharet (sp?) yeast I had. It's bubbling away.
__________________
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis."
www.TheFreeSpeak.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #36
SueMac
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Stoneham, MA
Posts: 97
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HSM View Post
13%! Wow.

I made a gallon test run using a loose ceylon tea at double strength brewed for 5 minutes. Very dark and smells great.

Sweetened with 1 1/2 lbs of corn sugar and used some moncharet (sp?) yeast I had. It's bubbling away.
What was your SG? Did you add any yeast nutrient?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #37
SueMac
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Stoneham, MA
Posts: 97
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SueMac View Post
After very vigorous fermentation, checked SG last night and down to .994. Racked to carboy and took a taste. UGH! Nasty stuff! No tea taste whatsover! So...

New Plan:
According to Firstnten's recipe, I was down by 10 teabags. So, racked off a pint from the carboy and now steeping 14 more teags (4 extra for good luck?!) for 2 hours. To that I'll add: 1 can lemonade, 1 cup sugar and 3 crushed vitamin c tablets (as ascorbic acid to avoid oxidizing because I'm not sure how quickly this will be consumed).
To the carboy of tea:
First: 3 crushed Campden Tablets. Stir well.
Second: 1 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate. Stir well.
Third: Additional tea/lemonade/sugar. Stir well. (Top up with additional water, if needed or I may add something else.)
Degas for 5 minutes.
Let stand for at least 2 more weeks. Then taste again.
Thoughts? Comments? (Small window of opportunity). Thanks!
Bottled yesterday. Tasted okay but not a lot of tea flavor, sooooooooo...
I "cheated" and added about a cup and half Lipton Diet Iced Tea with lemon that I had on hand. I took a one liter bottle, racked hard iced tea to about 1/2 bottle and then using a funnel, added 3/4 cup iced tea mix, shook bottle and then added rest and shook well. Little foamy. Added to bucket. Tasted good so bottled. Friends enjoyed!
Next try I may use regular tea (not decaf) and perhaps a higher end tea as well. Live and learn but have fun doing it!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #38
johnyrrr
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
New Hudson MI
Posts: 20
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I had to add a half a jar of instant tea and 3 frozen lemonade containers as well as sugar to get some taste back to it. I think I used montrochet yeast and that helped contribute to the nasty flavor. I will try a different yeast and maybe less sugar so it might taste better next time. its almost all gone though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #39
SueMac
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Stoneham, MA
Posts: 97
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyrrr View Post
I had to add a half a jar of instant tea and 3 frozen lemonade containers as well as sugar to get some taste back to it. I think I used montrochet yeast and that helped contribute to the nasty flavor. I will try a different yeast and maybe less sugar so it might taste better next time. its almost all gone though.
I'm saving it for a friend...Regretfully, I didn't take the final gravity - it's not high in alcohol but then the person I made it for wouldn't want it that way...I may fortify some with vodka. I may make some more once this is gone...Keep posting recipes and tweaks! FYI: I used Red Star Champagne yeast. I may use that again or some Nottingham or Windsor. We'll see...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hard iced tea and/or hard lime (like mike's) DrDuckbutter Recipes/Ingredients 15 03-30-2016 05:26 AM
Can I do a hard Iced tea? timmystank Recipes/Ingredients 12 08-14-2010 12:47 AM
hard iced tea igortheviking Recipes/Ingredients 4 09-26-2008 08:46 PM
hard iced tea dutchboy62 Cider Forum 12 07-30-2007 03:04 AM
Hard Iced tea klcramer Recipes/Ingredients 0 08-06-2006 01:50 AM


Forum Jump