Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Tried and True black beer recipies?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 3033 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Default Tried and True black beer recipies?

I've previously done some searching and didn't come up with a lot.

I love new belgium's 1554 black ale. I've seen some clone recipes and may try one if no one posts a good alternative.

Soo... any tried and true black beer recipes? Not really looking to clone 1554, just wanna try my hand at brewing a black beer...

If you've had 1554 (the only black beer I've been able to find 'round here), try to compare it to the tried and true recipe...

*Edit - will be batch sparged, all grain. OK with step mash if it'll improve the results.

Crash is one hard-headed mofo.-Shecky
The one that road tests motorcycle safety gear.-Ace_Club
Oregon boys are genetically predisposed to annoy people for extended periods of time.-thataintchicken
Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #2

I was looking for something similar to Kostritzer which is one of my personal favorite black beers. I haven't tried the recipe but it's on my to do list. Recipe Library - Jamil Zainasheff's Schwarzbier
Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts

I have not tasted this beer. You might want be more specific on the style. I don't think "Black Beer" is a style in the BJCP. Schwarzbier, like jerryodom linked to is a black lager. I highly recommend listening to the podcast also.