Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > first AG brewed yesterday.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
xaturnascends
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first AG brewed yesterday.

I did my first AG yesterday and it went perfectly and I just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice they gave me to make everything go so smoothly. Did a 6 gallon batch of citrus wheat, hit all my temps, hit OG right on the mark at 1.045, my fly sparge went perfect and damn does it smell good!... It felt like I was painting a masterpiece and everything just fell into line. Thanks guys for all your help and advice. It wouldn't have happened without homebrewtalk

Old 03-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Glad it went well for you. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1221 Posts
Likes Given: 903

good job...be thankful for a smooth first go

I did my first AG yersterday too. Everything went very smooth until I said outloud "man, everything is going perfect" I even knocked on wood after that but the brewing gods did not care. After I cooled my wort and started siphoning to the fermenter is where it all went wrong. My last hop addition was not inside a hop bag and the hops totally clogged the siphon. So, it took forever to get the wort in there. Then my aeration devise fell off into the wort and is now floating on top of the fermeter taunting me. I guess I will have to pull it out tonight. No bubbles this morning which was disappointing as well. Also, the color is way different than I was expecting. Oh well live and learn....

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 03-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
Sigaro
Recipes 

I did my first AG batch yesterday too! Must have been something in the air. It went pretty smooth, but I had a real hard time hitting target temps as it was 19 degrees in my garage and I don't think BeerSmith compensates for that. I missed my target OG by .010 due to poor efficiency. I adjusted the hops accordingly so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Ironically, I lost my aeration stone in my wort as well so I reverted to manually shaking.

Cheers!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
fixie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaturnascends View Post
I did my first AG yesterday and it went perfectly and I just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice they gave me to make everything go so smoothly. Did a 6 gallon batch of citrus wheat, hit all my temps, hit OG right on the mark at 1.045, my fly sparge went perfect and damn does it smell good!... It felt like I was painting a masterpiece and everything just fell into line. Thanks guys for all your help and advice. It wouldn't have happened without homebrewtalk
Congrats! and welcome to the Club.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Congrats on a great brew day, sounds like everything went quite well, good luck in the future.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Plug1
Recipes 

I guess yesterday was the day to go AG..

I was out in the 22 degree weather as well giving All grain a shot yesterday.. I was having a blast right up until the time that my digital thermometer crapped out and I found out that I had been mashing around 149ish.. rather than the suggested 154... That was followed up by a monster boilover which surprised me because it was a 5 gallon batch in a converted keg kettle! Then There’s the yeast, My buddy brought the supplies over with him and only brought a wyeast “propagator” instead of the larger yeast package.. it said 25 million cells but I have always used the larger 100million cell packs.. He assured me that I would be fine with the smaller pack But I’m not so sure. We will see how it turns out but as of this morning no activity in the fermenter... I did have it in the basement and have since moved the fermenter to a warmer spot, hopefully that will kick start things a bit.

You can’t make an omelet without breaking a few egg I guess, . Live and learn! Going for round 2 Saturday!