Carbonation/Conditioning Temperature - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonation/Conditioning Temperature

Old 03-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
JMack
Recipes 

Aug 2008

Just put my thrid batch, a BB Kolsch kit, into bottles last night. Is there a problem with storing the bottles at 55 degrees or so? Will the low temperature inhibit the yeast from providing enough action to carbonate the bottles?
Gone: AHS Belgian Wit, BB Kolsch

Old 03-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
llazy_llama

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Rapid City, South Dakota
Liked 90 Times on 28 Posts

At 55 degrees, it's going to take a long time for that beer to carbonate. 70 degrees is the recommended temperature, and it's that way for a reason.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3201 Times on 1889 Posts

At that temp it will slow down the yeast, and take forever for the beer to carb up...

Our experience is that at 70 degrees a regular grave beer will take about 3 weeks to carb up...in the 50's your yeast are half asleep.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
GroovePuppy

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Windsor, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just realized my garage is sneaking into the low 80's last few days. My primary and secondary are in a 38DD so they're fine but my bottle conditioning happens on a shelf in the garage. Should I worry much about bottle conditioning temperature?

Yet Another Keezer Build

Old 04-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
llazy_llama

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Rapid City, South Dakota
Liked 90 Times on 28 Posts

Your primary and secondary are in very large bras?