Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > bottle condition from AG

Old 06-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
simonj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bottle condition from AG

Hi all, after 8 or so All grain beers, I have started to get good clarity and taste (thanks to the members here!) however, my latest problem is that the bottles - having been conditioning for 6 weeks are not very gassy, but almost flat.

Once I finish in the primary, I rack into secondary for 4 weeks then bottle with 1tsp brewing sugar per 500ml. is the 4 weeks too long? should I add some sugar to secondary?

any advice would be great!

cheers,

Old 06-26-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
Sephro
Recipes 

I don't feel like doing the conversions but you should be adding about .55lbs of DME to a 5 gallon batch. I always added it to the bottling bucket rather than try to add it to each bottle.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I ran the calculations, and I use the same priming rate as you. I also usually do at least 4 weeks in secondary, but I get good carbonation in less than 6 weeks.

I dissolve the sugar in a small amount of water, and boil for 10 minutes, cool, add to bottling bucket. Then I rack the secondary into bucket and stir gently to mix.

After bottling, I keep the beer at about 70 F for three weeks before moving to the cellar (which is a bit cooler).

-a.

Edit: Being English, my preferred carbonation rate may be considerably lower than yours.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I prime like ajf does without any problems although I generally try to stay away from stiring. The action of the siphon will mix the mixture very well without the need to stir (and risk oxidation). I think you will find that it is far less of a pain in the A$$ too.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 06-30-2006, 12:40 AM   #5
Twabe
Recipes 

I usually secondary for 7-10 days and then use 1/4 cup of DME per gallon(dry unhopped spray malt) dissolved in 2 cups water heated to near boil, then cooled & stirred into the bottling bucket. The beer is usually drinkable in 10 days to 2 weeks. My clarity has been pretty good.

-t-

Old 07-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
simonj
Recipes 

cheers guys....... making some changes now..... hopefully they'll work!!