Recipe: 002 "Burnt Nuts" Nut Brown Ale
Style: Northern English Brown Ale
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 16.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 76.92 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 11.54 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt - 6.5L (6.5 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 20.8 IBU
1.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale
Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)
11:15 2qts water @165F for steeping grains, grains added, temp at 155F.
Started main boil of 15qts.
Heated 2qts water for rinsing grains.
11:30 Smacked yeast pack.
11:40 Main boil ready, turned off heat.
12:00 Grain temp @ 140F, rinse water @ 165F. Drained into main boil, rinsed with water then added to main boil, let sieve of grains sit for 5 mins then added remaining fluid to main boil.
12:05 Restart boil.
12:10 Boiling, stopped to add malt, dextrin and Irish moss.
12:15 Heat on.
12:20 Start of boil. Added Williamette. Realized initial boil volume incorrect. Started with 15qts, added ~4 qts from grain plus extract brought level up to 20qts. Started heating additional water to add to boil.
12:35 Added 2qts of boiling water.
12:42 Added ~1.5qts of boiling water. Volume at ~22.5qts.
1:10 Added wort chiller to sanitize.
1:15 Added Kent Goldings
1:20 Off boil and turned on chiller.
1:45 73F (temperature taken with hydrometer)
2:05 4.6 gallons in primary siphoned from top of bucket height to aerate. Pitched yeast and stirred vigorously.
SG = 1.058 (1.056 @76F add 2)
This was my second ever brew, the first being a minor disaster due to high fermentation temperature. This one turned out excellent. I was shooting for something nutty in the area of Lost Coast's "Downtown Brown" or Big Sky's "Moose Drool". I missed both but made a tasty beer in a similar style.
I screwed up my initial boil volume and had to adjust on the fly. I doubt it made much difference but I include the gory details for completeness.
OG was 13 points higher than predicted, probably from partly mashing the grains.
I decided to try primary-only since I'd seen so much debate on the subject. With only 4.6 Gallons I didn't want to water it down in secondary to limit the headspace.
As I said this turned out very nice. I ran some bottles by friends who homebrew and they were very complimentary. This one is as good as any commercial version I've tried IMO. I just bottled an AG version with some tweaks. I plan to make this beer my "signature" brew, tweaking each batch a little to try things out and get it to be a brew that's all mine. How I love Nut Brown Ale!