sHam Adams Cream Stout (down economy version)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroovePuppy

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast #1098
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @66F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @60F
Additional Fermentation
7 @65F
Tasting Notes
Very roasty and full flavored bute easy to drink. Coffee and hint of chocolate.
Code:
Recipe: 005 sHam Adams Cream Stout (down economy version)
Brewer: Hamish
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 43.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
3 lbs 8.0 oz  Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)               Dry Extract  45.16 %       
2 lbs         Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)               Dry Extract  25.81 %       
1 lbs         Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)                Grain        12.90 %       
12.0 oz       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        9.68 %        
8.0 oz        Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM)          Grain        6.45 %        
1.00 oz       Williamette [4.50 %]  (60 min)            Hops         16.4 IBU      
0.25 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %]  (60 min)    Hops         4.6 IBU       
0.50 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %]  (15 min)    Hops         4.5 IBU       
1.00 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                Misc                       
1 Pkgs        British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) [Starter 1Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Notes:
------
Steeping pot - 1.5Gallons
Main pot - 4Gallons

1:16 Grains in to steep @ 165F
1:38 Main pot on
2:16 Dunked bag in main pot @165F four times, final temp of steep 135F. Added steepings and 2lbs of DME. Topped up to 5.75Gallons and turned on heat.
2:55 Boil start. Added hops.
3:40 Added hops, heat off, added 3.5lbs of DME.
3:45 Heat on and chiller in.
3:55 Heat off and chiller on.
4:10 80F
4:15 74F
4:25 Pitched yeast @ 72F after aeration of wort.
Ended up with 5.25Gallons in primary. SG measured as 1.060 @ 72F = 1.061!!!!

I originally wanted to make a clone of Sam Adams Cream Stout based on this recipe Sam Adams Cream Stout but didn't really get close. The OP claims the ingredients match the commercial brew which is confirmed on the Sam Adams web site (obviously swapping in extract) but mine is not nearly as creamy; maybe skipping the Wheat DME did that.

Anywhoo, my intent for this batch was to run a cheap batch and I already had Light DME and all the hops I used so I went with the tweaked version.
My yeast was harvested from my Nut Brown Ale, again an attempt to keep my cost down. While not like the original it's a great beer. You might even prefer it if you find the sweetness of the original too cloying.

My FG was a full 11 points above BeerSmith's prediction as were all my "Extract and Grains" batches. I think the extra was from the grains.

I had no temperature control for fermentation, only water bath, so my secondary ended up being at 60F. I completed my 38DD fermentation cabinet and threw it in there for an extra week after becoming paranoid I'd stalled the yeast. A 2 week secondary is probably fine.

I have an AG version in Secondary right now, but with some tweaks to the recipe to try and get something akin to the original. I hope it works 'cos there's not much of my first one left!!!!!!

Back