stuck braggot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronbeer

Reaction score
ok, so I brewed some braggot on the 24th and it fermented like crazy within 12 hrs. Now a week later, it looks as if it has stoped fermenting! like one bubble a min. Is that normal or is it stuck?

Without specific gravity readings, there's no way to know. Bubbling does not equal fermenting and no bubbling doesn't mean not fermenting. A well treated brew will get the bulk of fermentation out of the way in the first week, so if its been a week, it may just be slowing down as most do.

i am fermenting in a carboy, how do you all get your sample out to check it?

use a racking cane and siphon tube to get a reading. tipping will also pour out the CO2 that is protecting your braggart from oxidation. just be sure to sanitize the cane before you take your sample. if the SG is significantly higher than you expect try moving the fermenter to a warmer place in the house. if the fermentation doesn't pick up try adding more yeast. the yeast may of gotten bogged down in all the sugar.

thank you. I went ahead and ordered a wine thief. I will post when I find out the gravity.

ok, so i took a reading today and it was 1.036 it has been in the fermenter for 16 days. is that ok or does it sound like it is stuck?

4 lbs honey 6 lbs malt extract. Enough water to make 5 gal. I also used yeast nutriant and hops.

Finally fermented down to nothing! Very alcoholic now! Not a fan. I am letting it age in the bottle now to see if it will get better with time. Good luck on yours! Just put it in a glass carboy and forget about it for awhile and see what happens.

Yeah, I left it for like 4months and then one day decided to check it and boom, it was done. I had already added three different yeasts to it and nothing worked. I would swirl it around every once in awhile. I guess it just took some time.

Back