Buying a Harley. Any Advice? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Buying a Harley. Any Advice?

Old 03-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Underwood, Iowa
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm gonna buy a 1200 Custom. Any advice on how and where? What should I expect out of a dealer? Will they deal right now or will I have to pay MSRP?

Sorry no Boobs.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
thataintchicken
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Lewiston, ID
Liked 1369 Times on 1337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
Will they deal right now or will I have to pay MSRP?
I'm afraid you will pay MSRP or more.

I priced both a Buell 1125R and a Ulysses last week as a replacement for my aging Kawasaki ZR-7.
They stayed firm on prices at the dealerships I went to.

I can guess they will do the same for Harley models.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

Old 03-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
bmckee56

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Coraopolis, PA (Near Pittsburgh)
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would shop a few dealers if possible and get firm (written quotes). Use these to try and get dealers to better the others pricing. Aside from that, Harley dealers are pretty strick in pricing. I don't know if it is a Harley Dealer agreement, but they typically stay close to MSRP prices.

Also try to find a straight out deal by buying from an owner if you can. This is where you are going to get better pricing. Harley dealers do not give a trade-in the pricing they can get as a straight out sale from a private owner.

Good Luck.

Salute!
On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 03-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts

Of course they're not going to deal. Too much of a hot commodity, a bike, with gas prices riding the roller coaster...

Your best deal would be a used one unless you're willing to pay for the HD logo.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckee56 View Post
...Aside from that, Harley dealers are pretty strick in pricing. I don't know if it is a Harley Dealer agreement, but they typically stay close to MSRP prices...
In some businesses this is called price fixing and collusion is still illegal, but try proving it...

Saturn would never budge off of their prices either. Consumers knew that and now Saturn will be no more...the consumer has spoken.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
StoutFan
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Wyoming, Michigan
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

On prices, it's a Harley. The name is what you pay for. If you won't pay that price, the next guy will. As an owner of a 89' E-Glide and former owner of a 99' Sportster, DON'T BUY A HARLEY! They are just an image thing now. he bikes leak everything, they are a pig on the highway and they are using 70's tech in the 2009's. Buy a Star, all the looks, quadruple the performance, same price.
2009 Yamaha Road Star Home, information, info

Gambrinous - to be full of beer

Old 03-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
boo boo
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Hearts's Delight, Newfoundland
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFan View Post
On prices, it's a Harley. The name is what you pay for. If you won't pay that price, the next guy will. As an owner of a 89' E-Glide and former owner of a 99' Sportster, DON'T BUY A HARLEY! They are just an image thing now. he bikes leak everything, they are a pig on the highway and they are using 70's tech in the 2009's. Buy a Star, all the looks, quadruple the performance, same price.
2009 Yamaha Road Star Home, information, info
Yeah, the bike may leak a bit from time to time, but don't try to tell me there isn't a difference between a yammy and a HD. The feel of a HD is quite different than any other, and I have driven them all.

If all you want is a poser bike that runs well and will get you to the coffee shop in style, then the yammy is for you. If you want/need the rumble of a real V twin, then the HD is for you.

I have had other bikes than a Harley and have enjoyed riding them all, but once I strapped on a HD I knew that it was the only one for me. My next bike, new or used will be HD.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Crazytown
Liked 3362 Times on 3240 Posts

I really don't get the harley obsession. I'd argue that the harley's are the "poser" bikes that get you there in style. Harley's, IMHO, are bought for the name - jap bikes are bought to be ridden. It's rare to see a harley with a crapload of miles, it's pretty common to see a japanese bike with lots of miles...

That said, there have been reports that harley dealers are becoming a lot more flexible on price in these tough economic times. The days of paying more than MSRP are over - too much competition. Build quality, price, and technological advances all have put harley at a disadvantage vs the japanese bike.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Underwood, Iowa
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Good thoughts everyone. I have owned and ridden Jap bikes since my first, a Honda SL-70. Gone through many and still ride my Magna. I've been ready for a Harley for several years. Maybe the name, maybe the rumble, maybe the bad ass bike looks. So that argument is meaningless. Although I may look back and think different, I doubt it.

What I have found so far is that the used value is very close to new price. The difference being that the used has already been dressed up. But this will be my first Harley and everyone I mean everyone tells me I'll be trading up in a year.

I'm not generally the type to move from one to the next very soon. I figure out what I want, get it and keep it. But....Harley has a "Ride free guarantee" If I buy new I can trade in next year for MSRP on a step up. That is one thing I'm thinking about.

Sounds like I can expect to pay MSRP at a dealer these days.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
Brewiz

Recipes 

May 2005
Stockbridge, Ga
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I have just one thing to say: