Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Air leaks from keg below 10 psi
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
TXhophead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6
Default Air leaks from keg below 10 psi

This is my first time kegging so I hope i'm doing it right. I followed the directions and put the keg below 40deg @ 30psi and rocked it for 2 minutes. Then i let it sit for an hour and a half and tryed to see if the carbonation took. Well I was letting the pressure out through the release valve to get it to the recomended 5psi but when it goes below 10psi the seal on the keg lid starts letting out air and breaking the seal. What do i do.


TXhophead is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Picobrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NW Portland, OR
Posts: 1,109
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Apparently this is pretty common. I have had success with sealing at 30psi and then dropping and keeping a seal, but I wanted to seal at 0psi or 5psi, so I can ferment in the corny, so I bought some silicon o-rings that are supposedly thicker/softer. Check out this thread for the McMaster parts if you are interested: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/usin...ml#post1151679

I am going to try them out soon, so I will let you know how it works.


Picobrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Picobrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NW Portland, OR
Posts: 1,109
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picobrew View Post
Apparently this is pretty common. I have had success with sealing at 30psi and then dropping and keeping a seal, but I wanted to seal at 0psi or 5psi, so I can ferment in the corny, so I bought some silicon o-rings that are supposedly thicker/softer. Check out this thread for the McMaster parts if you are interested: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/usin...ml#post1151679

I am going to try them out soon, so I will let you know how it works.
The other suggestion I heard was to get some "keg lube" but I haven't tried that.
Picobrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
enderwig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
enderwig's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dickinson Texas
Posts: 1,452
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picobrew View Post
The other suggestion I heard was to get some "keg lube" but I haven't tried that.
Keg lube really helps seal up your kegs. It can fill in any tiny imperfections in the gasket or metal.
__________________
Read the
Homebrewtalk Wiki!
enderwig is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beerthirty's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Podunk, VA. Not far from the NC line.
Posts: 2,654
Liked 28 Times on 13 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwig View Post
Keg lube really helps seal up your kegs. It can fill in any tiny imperfections in the gasket or metal.
Plus allows the seal to side into position for the best seal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
"I've got a fever... and the only prescription is, MORE CARBOYS!"
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.
beerthirty is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
TXhophead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6
Default

any good sub for "keg lube"? as I don't have any on hand
TXhophead is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
aekdbbop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aekdbbop's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,772
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

ky or vasoline? lol i dont know.. just wondering..
aekdbbop is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
enderwig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
enderwig's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dickinson Texas
Posts: 1,452
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aekdbbop View Post
ky or vasoline? lol i dont know.. just wondering..
In a pinch, vaseline really will work!
__________________
Read the
Homebrewtalk Wiki!
enderwig is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beerthirty's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Podunk, VA. Not far from the NC line.
Posts: 2,654
Liked 28 Times on 13 Posts

Default

Don't use the same tub you use for (clears throat) other activities. Double dipping breaks sanitation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
"I've got a fever... and the only prescription is, MORE CARBOYS!"
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.
beerthirty is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
TXhophead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6
Default

so you just smear a bunch on the lid where the rubber seal is?


TXhophead is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Damn CO2 Leaks! Homercidal Bottling/Kegging 18 07-16-2009 12:38 PM
Leaks vav Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks 2 02-22-2009 06:34 PM
Possible leaks and what to do? Roman Brewer Bottling/Kegging 6 07-10-2008 06:07 PM
Lid leaks on new keg Hillbillie PHiL Bottling/Kegging 13 12-21-2007 04:48 PM
Air Leaks. bs22619 Bottling/Kegging 8 12-19-2007 05:34 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS